Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdaleVikki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Power of Attorney fees
    What is a reasonable amount to charge someone for your services as theur POA?
    And would this be by the week, month or term of service?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 09:54 PM

I never charged my uncle to be his attorney-in-fact. You can set any reasonable fee you wish as long as it is okay with the person you represent. It depends on what you are doing as POA. Over a five-year period, I sold my uncle's car, cleaned up his house and ran a yard sale with collectibles and assorted goods from his house and attic (he'd moved into assisted living), rented out his house and served as landlord for 3 years, eventually sold it when he needed funds, dealt with banks as I consolidated his savings accounts and paid his bills, dealt with the funeral home as I (with his help) pre-arranged his funeral, moved him into a skilled nursing home as his health declined, dealt with public aid once he ran out of funds. I could have collected maybe an annual paycheck, but hated to take money he would eventually need.
    AdaleVikki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the reply...
    Its my mother in law that I have been POA for... For over a year, I did basically everything you did for your uncle... I even cleaned up her *mess* when she was ill and had a VERY contagious disease, with no concern for myself. Her home was scheduled for foreclosure last Nov. and I spent weeks (every day) on the phone getting it saved for her. Straightened up her bank account, tended to all her medical needs, took care of her home, animals, etc. Then after her son (my brother in law) beat the hell out of me (mom in law is mad at me because I went to the hospital and they called the police... state pressed charges, I didnt)... Now she says her son can do what he wants to me... and she threw me out of her home. Treats me like something she scraped off her shoe... *sighs* So... in light to the fact of how I have been treated (both physically and mentally) I am going to charge her for my services...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Then you would be charging for services rendered not for the legal definition of having POA. Unfortunately you may find that you won't get paid since you did not arrive at an agreement before the services were rendered. Cut your losses, I would :).
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 09:25 AM

Depends on what the actual POA document says. Why don't you resign as her agent and maybe you can appoint her son as her POA agent? All depends on what the document says.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of Attorney Fees [ 1 Answers ]

I am POA for my mother in TX. I am in WA state. What is a fair amount to be reimbursed for my work on her behalf. I do something for her from up here at least every day.

Power of attorney fees for Ohio? [ 2 Answers ]

A person for whom I was a power of attorney for the past 14 years has died. What method of determining a reasonable fee for my services is appropriate in the state of Ohio? I performed many business transactions for him and provided all transportation for the past 14 years. I was never...

Power of attorney fees [ 3 Answers ]

My dads brother passed away about a year ago and my dad became power of attorney for his property and financial assets. Now, I think my dad should be paid for his troubles, and there have been some. My uncles assets include two older houses and about 200k in the bank. Can you help me with this.....

View more questions Search