Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2006, 07:55 AM
    PVC flange too high, concrete slab
    I discovered the toilet flange in our downstairs bath is about 3/16-1/4” above the concrete slab. Maybe this clearance was left for subfloor/tile that never got installed. Anyway, the toilet rests on the flange unless a lot of shims are used. Also, it looks like the previous owner must have over-tightened the bolts (flange is slightly warped), probably an attempt to stop the toilet from rocking. The flange and pipe are PVC, and I think the flange is glued in. Can the flange be removed easily, and what would I need to do to install a new one at the proper height?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2006, 08:03 AM
    You don't remove PVC fittings that have been glued. The glue mets and welds the two together. They must be cut out. You have two options open to you. (1) You can purchase plastic shims and shim and grout the bowl. **or** (2) you can cut the old flange out and replace with a inside replacement flange. What's your pleasure? Tom
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You don't remove PVC fittings that have been glued. The glue mets and welds the two together. They must be cut out. You have two options open to you. (1) You can purchase plastic shims and shim and grout the bowl. **or** (2) you can cut the old flange out and replace with a inside replacement flange. What's your pleasure?? Tom
    Thanks, Tom. I think the flange is an "inside" type already - is there an easy way to tell for sure? If it is, can it be easily cut out and replaced, or would that be a really big job? Right now I've re-set the toilet, and there's 1/4-1/2" gap between the base and the flooring due to all the shims used. I don't want to make work for myself by replacing the flange unnecessarily, but on the other hand I don't want to make work for myself down the road by doing this wrong either. If the gap isn't too much, I'll just fill it in and call it a day - what would be the best stuff to use for that?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2006, 01:47 PM
    As I said, you don't cut out a PVC fitting that has been glued in. Having a inside flange limits you. You can jackhammer up the cement and take a set of inside cutters and cut the stub-up back to couple a piece of PVC to bring it op to grade and install a new flange and patch the cement. Or you can shim up the bowl with sheet lead or plastic shims and grout the base with Dap White Tub and Tile Grout. I have shimmed toilets up to 1/2i nch off the floor and made them look good. It's your choice but I'd go with door number two. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak Under Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I found out that I have a water leak under my slab floor. Apparantely the leak is between the shutoff out in the yard and the meter(which is located in the hallway utility closet). I hear water gurgling in my ductwork which is also in the slab. Called local plumber and he says I'm looking at...

High Flange [ 5 Answers ]

I recently noticed water damage on the ceiling directly beneath one of my 2nd floor toilets and decided to inspect it. After removing the toilet I found the wax seal was compromised due to a lack of clearance between the toilet and the flange. I've tried installing one of the o-ring and gasket...

Flange too high [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - We have a roughed in two piece bathroom in our basement. We had a plumber come in yesterday to run the water lines. He told us that the flange is "way too high" and wants to break the concrete and lower the flange. Is this really necessary? We are thinking of putting carpet in there which...

PVC toilet mount and flange replacement on slab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm a new home owner and an idiot. I discovered that our toilet on the first floor (no basement) was rocking back and forth, and upon attempting to tighten down bolts, further discovered that they spun freely. I removed the toilet to find that both slots of the pvc mount were broken. ...

View more questions Search