Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pothead420 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Can my PO drug test me if I am not on drug related probation?
    That's pretty much my question
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 16, 2009, 05:42 PM

I am not positive, but I believe they can drug test you regardless of the offense. Since your sole responsibility while on probation is staying out of trouble, I think they will if they suspect anything.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 16, 2009, 07:25 PM

I was a probation officer in Maryland for 7 years and we could not do drug testing on anyone unless it was specified by the court in the probation order. However, in some states the ability to do drug testing is considered to be a standard condition of probation. I used to get probation transfers from other states and the probation officer from the sending state would call me and ask if the person had tested positive for anything. I had to tell them that in my state, unless it was ordered by the court, we couldn't do it.

Your probation order should give you some clue as to whether they can test or not. If the PO asks you to take a test, you can just about guarantee that they are allowed to do it... In my state we always had too many cases to start doing things to probationers that were not in the probation order. If that happens ask to see their authority for testing, it should be written down somewhere.

However, if the probationer gave me some indication that they might be using (such as a new arrest for possession), I would write the judge to have the condition of testing added, and the judge always allowed it under such circumstances.

By the way, many people are ordered into drug testing even though the offense they were convicted of is not drug related. If someone is charged with something like burglary, and they make the statement in court "I did it to support my habit", you can guarantee that the person is going to have drug testing as a condition of probation, if they get probation.

One of my first jobs when getting a probation case was to sit down with the probationer, go over every aspect of the probation order and make sure that the person knew exactly what was required of them so that they would be less likely to violate the probation. If that didn't happen to you, you need to talk to your PO and make sure you know this stuff.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 07:58 PM

Yes, in our area it was standard procedure to do radam ( but not often) drug tests on everyone.

If of course when reporting, you show signs of drug use, most will.
    FRANCES08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 2, 2009, 07:47 PM

Yes they can drug test you regardless of it being in your file or not
    rhubbard82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 1, 2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah they can test you. They may choose not to, but they probably will. If you fail I am sure your county or parish has plenty of expensive and useless outpatient drug programs to put you in. Probation sucks, get it over with, if you have to smoke check out spice gold, it gets you high and can't be tested, even though it has cannabinoids in it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 05:04 PM

rhubbard82, I have deleted several of your posts, you posted on older threads not current ones.

Also in legal forums we don't use or allow drug rants
    lukyluch Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 09:26 PM
    I was charged with an armed robbery will my po still piss tets me?
    RyYoO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
    I have court and I'm a minor, can they drug test me on probation?
    RyYoO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Im A Minor. And I Start Probation Soon. And got charged for grand theft, can they drug test me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RyYoO View Post
    can they drug test me?
    Hello Ry:

Yes!

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 1, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Ry:

Yes!

excon
    I agree. RyYoO, probation is sort of like being in jail, except that you aren't actually in jail. Rule of thumb: PO can do just about whatever the jail can do. More-or-less anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drug test, probation. [ 6 Answers ]

I went on the 18th or march (last month) for my orientation to set up probation (I am on probation for shoplifting because I could pay my fine). They did an initial drug screen (which I know I failed for marijuana, as I am a habitual user. My next appointment is on the 8th of April (in 4 days) Will...

Does any presciption drug mimic marijuana on drug test? [ 8 Answers ]

Are there any presciption drugs that mimic marijuana on a pee test? Also, does eating asparagus have any impact since it is an alkaline vegetable? Thanks.

Probation violation for 1st failed drug test. [ 9 Answers ]

Hey wats up... I got caught on under 50 gram of marijauna and got all the charges moved to a conditional discharge... I went to my PO and after the drug test she told me "if you pass this... u will never see me again" just my luck I found out I failed my first drug test for probation... so I have...

Will suboxone show up in Ca probation drug test? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I'm fresh at the beginning of being on probation (PC 1000 program to be exact) and have to get tested drug tested twice a week. I was using oxy contin but now need to take suboxone in order to get completely off the oxy. My question is, if suboxone would show up on THEIR tests. Does anyone...

View more questions Search