Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annaavina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Child support obligation
    My ex husband has not paid child support for approx 1yrs. I am aware that he is currently on welfare for his three daughters with someone else. Does that mean he does not have to pay child support for our child?he lives in ca.:confused:
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 16, 2009, 05:53 PM

No, it does not mean he doesn't have to pay child support, but you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. He is still obligated to you, but your options are limited. Talk to your local child support enforcement agency and see if they can point you in the right direction, of where to go and what to do. Odds are they won't revoke his DL if he is working and on welfare, that would cause hardship for all sides. They could always put him in jail.

Some states will allow you to get a lawyer and take action, while other states won't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 07:56 PM

It does mean he can go to court and have the amount lowered to the state ( if in the US) min allowed or to his pay if he is earning enough.

But again, if he has no income, and no money he just can't pay, so he will just fall further and further behind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obligation to pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Florida, if a father fights to get shared custody of his children, will his ex wife still be entitled to child support?

Child support obligation from one-nighter in Indiana [ 3 Answers ]

All parties involved in this question reside in Indiana. Back in college, I had a one-night-stand with a gal. About two months later, I got a call from her saying that she was pregnant. I saw her once afterward, when she would have been about three months along. I never saw nor heard from...

Step parent obligation of Child Support in NYS [ 1 Answers ]

I live I NYS with my husband who is the non-custodial parent of a 15yr old child, which also lives in NYS with his mother. My husband is unemployed and is currently obligated to pay $50.oo a week for child support. He always pays his support on time. I know that his sons' mother wants more...

Child support obligation in Indiana [ 4 Answers ]

If my child turns 18 and decides to drop out of school because he is failing, do I still have to pay support. If he continues until the end of the year, and then does not graduate, because he failed required classes, but still lives at home, do I still have to pay support at the end of the scholl...

Child support obligation [ 3 Answers ]

My husband was married to a woman before me and they had a child together. When they first divorced, he was still in college, working part time and living with his parents, so his income, should the court have put into effect a child support order, would have fallen below the minimum needs...

View more questions Search