Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1ramis10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Can I record with my VCR on my HDTV and Analog TV's that have a converter box?
    I could record with the VCR on my HDTV because I still had analog stations; but since the digital switchover on 6/12/09, I have not been able to record anything.

Can you help me with this? I also have a VCR on an analog TV w/converter box and would like to know if I can record on that TV?

I use rabbit ears, so I don't receive many channels.

PLEASE HELP!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 05:58 PM

You should still be able to record. The trick is that the digital converter box does two things:
    1. Converts the Over-the-Air digital signal to an analog signal your TV wants
    2. Converts all the channels you can receive to a single channel

The important one here is the second one. Your digital converter will probably output on channel 3 or 4 (using the coaxial RF output). Thus, you'll want to set the channel on your VCR to whichever channel that is. The actual channel that gets recorded is selected on the digital converter box.

Since you say you have an HDTV, you don't need a digital converter for that TV. Therefore, I'd use that converter to hook to the VCR, using a coax between the RF Out of the converter box to the RF In or Antenna connection to the VCR. Set the VCR to channel 3 or 4 as appropriate. Now buy a set of A/V (composite) cables -- the Red/White/Yellow set. Hook these between Audio/Video Out of the VCR to Audio/Video In of the HDTV. To watch a video tape, select AV1 or something similar using your HDTV's Input Select. To record a program, select the channel on the digital box and leave the VCR (always) on 3 or 4. You can use the timer, but the converter box must remain on and on the correct channel.

I hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting converter box to analog TV [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to connect anything to my TV, but nothing is connecting with it. I have an analog TV, a vcr/dvd unit, a vcr unit, and a converter box. I am on an outside antenna and tried to connect the converter box. It will not show up on channel 3. Then I tried connecting the vcr/dvd unit, but...

DTV Digital to analog converter [ 1 Answers ]

I apologize for any confusion I gave about the boxes. On the box it saids Magnavox TB100MW9. DTV Digital to analog converter.. Receives digital over the air signals on your analog TV. SDTV Tuner Watch free digital TV programs with your analog TV. We were going to stop using cable when I...

Converter box to old tv's [ 5 Answers ]

Can a converter box be hooked up to 23 yr. old Mitsubishi TV which does not have the red , white and yellow coaxial cable jack hook ups, and another small TV Panasonic which also only has antenna jack or are these hopeless cases and just forget about them (tho my little Panasonic still works quite...

View more questions Search