Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vbkx Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Strange noise through my flat
    Hello everyone

I have a 1st floor, 1 bedroom flat in a small block.Few days ago we noticed strange sound through the flat and the bedroom was the noisiest. I thought that it was downstairs neighbours doing their washing but , we could hear it in the bedroom more than kitchen. The noise sounds exactly like washing mashine on high spin with rhytmical banging as if you were washing your trainers , the noise usually starts around 9pm and goes untin next noon.I have shut off the water and electricity but the noise didn't stop. I have read about sump pumps but Our block doesn't have any basement , is there any chance the block would have somewhere some pump that could be causing this noise? The noise is cause of great anxiety to both of us so any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2009, 04:48 PM
    1. Smells and noises are the most difficult to track down if you're not there. While we can't pinpoint the source we can point you to the most likely offenders.
    This is number one on Tom and Marks Timely Tips. You turned off the water and electric? How about your neighbor? Did he turn off his stuff at the same time? If not try it! Also how about the AC units? Where are they located? Anything near your building that could cause this sound? Let me know. Tom

Jun 17, 2009, 02:39 AM

Our block has just 6 flats spread on 3ground and 3 1st floor.There is a semi-detached house on each side but can't hear any sounds nor can't feel any vibrations coming from either side.There are no wall-mounted ac units anywhere on the outside.my downstairs neighboor claims he can't hear anything which I doubt takinf into account how noisy our flat is, you can even feel the vibrations from the thumping sound while in bed.Also won't shut off the watter or electricity.I do think the sound is coming from their flat , but then I'm thinking how loud woud it have to be downstairs,don't think the would put up with it esp with 2yr old child... we are really going nuts , haven't slept for a week... thanx 4 reading
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2009, 05:04 AM
    You're just going to hafta track it down. Anything that makes that much noise has to be powered by something. Electricity, heat, wind, something. Locate the power source and you're well on your way to stopping the noise. good luck, Tom

Jun 17, 2009, 12:16 PM

I found out that the main electrical switch for the block is in the same cupboard as the switch for the downstairs flat and can be opened with the same key as we use 4 our electricity cupboard.We shut off the power 2 my neighbour's flat and the noise stopped.We still don't know what it is but at least we know who is responsible 4 that.I will go and speak with the neighbours when the noise starts again , no point going there now when it's quiet.We realized the noice started when the weather got really hot so we think the could have a ceiling fan or aircon unit that were not installed properly or are faulty...
    Do you think that is a possibility speedball?
    Just hope the folks will cooperate really don't want to get the authorities involved , too much red tape involved...

By the way thank you wery much 4 all of your help so far mate
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 17, 2009, 12:33 PM
    As I said in a earier post My bet's on the AC unit. Let me know, Tom

Jun 18, 2009, 12:36 PM

So I went downstairs to discuss the noise issue with my neighbour , the lady od the house openes the door , I have a quick peek inside and what did I see?! A HUGE ceiling fan! The motor was the source of the low hum noise and as it was badly installed and / or balanced the whole thing swayed so mych that the base was rockin which is the source of the thumping sound... played the good guyand begged them not to use it at night so hopefuly the won't.If the do I will have to release the bad guy on them... I need my sleep thanks 4 support speed ball
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Thanks for the update. Told you! Find the power source and you're well on your way to locating the problem. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange Noise From Thermostat Box [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have electric heat in my suite and I never turn on the heater / thermostat in my bedroom as I like to sleep where it is cool. So I have lived in my rented suite for 4 years, never turning the heat on in the bedroom. I was awakened by strange noise at 3:00am this morning, it was a loud...

Strange noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have been bothered by this strange noise since the beginning of this year. I bought this two family house two years ago. I renovated the whole house from top to bottom before I moved in. New electricity and new water pipe. About 10 months ago, I heard a strange noise from my living room. It...

Strange water noise [ 2 Answers ]

Water sounds like it is flowing though the pipes, but the water meter shows that there is no water usage. It is very lound where the pipes come into the basement. Could it be just pipe noise from water flowing though the main water main? This is a house that is only 5 years old. It is as loud as if...

Strange pipe noise. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I'm living in a 2 story house with 1 bathroom on the 2nd floor and one in the basement. We keep getting these increasingly loud pulsating sound throughout the main water pipes. It lasts about 10-15 seconds and happens inconsistantly about every 20 minutes. One of the effects that it has...

Strange noise [ 3 Answers ]

there is a strange noise that randomly occurs in the morning in my house. It sounds like a jack hammer. It is most prominent in my master bedroom bathroom, where there is a vent on the low part of the wall, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. My furnace and ac are not on and haven't been...

View more questions Search