Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwittejr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Wiring a ceiling fan in middle of run, outlet at end of run
    I am wiring a bedroom ceiling fan and just needed someone to help me figure out part of the wiring I'm not sure about.

The goal is to have a 2 gang switch control the light and the fan separately. The switch is at the beginning of the run, then the ceiling fan, and then I also have an "always on" non-switched outlet that will be powered at the end of the run.

I have 14-2 coming into the switch box from the panel and a 14-3 going from the switch to the ceiling fan box. Then I have a 14-2 wire going from the ceiling fan box to the outlet at the end of the run.

I'm not sure how to continue the power on past the ceiling fan to the end of run outlet without making a neutral wire hot. Is that what I have to do, and if so, how do I connect it all?
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 16, 2009, 03:04 PM

Why did you run your outlet wire from your ceiling box? It should have been run to your 2 gang switch box.If you are going to control the light and fan seperatey then you can not get constant power to your outlet because you will need to use the white for the neutral, black for fan and red for light. The only way you can get constant power to the outlet the way you have your wire run is to make the red or black wire go to your fan/light which means you would only have one switch and use the pull chains on the fan/light and make the other wire constant hot to your outlet.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 03:42 PM

Even making a neutral hot is not going to undo your error. Making a neutral hot is also dangerous, againist code and not one person at AMHD will tell you to do it. Are all your wires enclosed or can you still pull or string more?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 08:28 AM

Error! You can use a black/white pairing to make a switch loop. Gray or White can be used to carry voltage to a switch. It cannot be used to carry voltage back to the fixture.

Both ends of the wire must be permanently marked with a black band to show that this wire has be re-tasked to carry voltage

We need to go back to the beginning. Where are you getting the power source from? That is critical to your circuit design. Also, if it is an existing circuit, you need to know the load in Amps that is already on the circuit!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Personally, if I had the source at the ceiling outlet, I would use a 14/3 AWG to feed the switches. I would carry power to the switches via a retasked white attached to the supply in the ceiling.
    Black would be the return to the fan Black.
    Red would be the return to the light blue.

For the constant outlet, I would also attach (pigtail) a black to the supply line and a white to the supply neutral and run the 14/2 to the outlet location.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 01:13 PM

Yeah you can either have the supply come in at the outlet or the fan, but not at the switches unless you have 4 wires + ground running between the switches and fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring light fixture to ceiling fan outlet with 2 switches [ 7 Answers ]

I searched but couldn't find this exact question... I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location...

Wiring ceiling fan to wall outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new SPEC home. The rooms have no ceiling lighting. They have a switched controlled receptical. I would like to install a ceiling fan with light. The fan/light combo already comes wired. So, I need to setup the wiring in each room. At the switch... I removed the...

Wiring a ceiling fan to wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a high rise apartment complex with no ceiling light fixture. Is there a way to wire a ceiling fan to an electrical cord that would plug into a wall outlet. I can do a lot of "handyman jobs" on my own and have numerous ceiling fans when the wiring is already there? Just wondering if...

Wiring ceiling fan to swith that controls outlet [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have a light swith that only has two wires to it it allows an outlet to be turn off and on, I need to have this control the outlet and a new ceiling fan... there is no overhead light in the room now... how would I need to wire this switch

Old house, new ceiling fan wiring to wall outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new ceiling fan that comes with a wall dimmer and fan speed /on and off... My house wiring is old and has only one black and one white wire,. will this switch work... I have an electrician coming to install. Paid plenty for the fan and I want to make sure...

View more questions Search