Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sian1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2006, 02:14 AM
    My older cat will not accept my new kitten!
    Ive recently rescued a naughty tortie from the cats protection league, she has settled in very well, but my 12 year old tortie will not accept her atall, she hisses every time she sees the kitten, and then makes her self sick... we had to take her to the vets last night as she was acting strange, and she now has laryngitus this must be down to all the snarling she is doing!!

I have bought some feliway, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, can anyone give me any tips, before my bank account disappears!!

Thanks

Sian
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 11, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Have you tried letting the new kitten have her own space within the house that is not occupied by the 12 year old and then introducing them slowly?

I found this link that has some very good suggestions for introducing two cats. I hope it helps!

http://http://www.littlebigcat.com/?...tintroductions
    clvassallo Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 10:06 AM
    It takes time. Put one in a room and let the other one smell her under the door. After a few days, open the door and put a baby gate across the doorway and let them look at each other. Reassure the older cat as she hisses through the gate at the littler one. It's pretty much just a matter of letting the older cat know you still love her.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 24, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Okay, the rule when introducing a new cat to older existing ones is to do it one sense at a time. The longer you take the better chance you have at them getting along. Just start over!
    From About.com
    * Set up a comfortable "safe room" for New Cat. Put her food, water, litter box (not near the food), scratching post, toys, and bed or other sleeping mat there.
    * Expect a great deal of "hissy-spitty" behavior through the closed door from both cats. This is natural and normal; they are just starting to explore their "pecking order."
    * Scent is very important for cats. Let each of them smell the other indirectly, by rubbing a towel on one and letting the other smell it. They will soon accept the scent as a normal part of the house.
    * Once or twice, switch roles. Put New Cat in the normal living quarters, and let your resident cat sniff out the new cat's Safe Room.
    * After a day or so, let the two cats sniff each other through a baby-gate or through a barely-opened door. Gauge the rate at which they seem to be acclimating to each other.
    * When you think they're ready, let them mingle under your supervision. Ignore hissing and growling, but you may have to intervene if a physical battle breaks out. Again, take this step slowly, depending on how quickly they get along. If they do seem to tolerate each other, even begrudgingly, praise both of them profusely.
    * Make their first activities together enjoyable ones so they will learn to associate pleasure with the presence of the other cat. Feeding (with their own separate dishes), playing, and petting. Keep up with the praise.
    * If things start going badly, separate them again, and then start where you left off. If one cat seems to consistently be the aggressor, give her some "time out," then try again a little bit later.

The introduction can take from two hours to six months, so don't be discouraged if your cats don't seem to get along well at first. Often the case is that they will eventually be "best buddies."
    Good Luck
    JCM1992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 06:01 PM
    I'm having the same problem. I have a female orange tabby that is a year and a few months old and recently adopted another female cat that is almost a year old. My new cat keeps trying to play with my cat and my cat keeps getting freaked out and hissing and running away like a bat out of Hell. *sigh*
    purewoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2014, 02:46 AM
    If you have two cats in the home that are strangers... I guarantee that they will become best buddies within a couple weeks to a month. Your orange tabby is just trying to show her 'territory' and they always act aggressive to one another as a 'front' to show they are tough and that it is 'their' area.

After a few days, besides just staying in opposite corners and staring at each other, or hissing or growling if the new cat moves to a different spot, especially when they are near each other by the food bowls and litter. The old cat won't really stop the new cat from eating, it will just try to intimidate her which usually chases the new girl kitty away... but never have I seen an older cat belonging to an owner, continue for more than a couple weeks to be fierce when a new kitty enters the picture. It's in their inherent nature to protect what is theirs; and at the same time, if your female orange tabby sees another kitty, they act ferocious trying to claim 'their' territory. Good news though...

It won't last too long. Soon they will be sniffing each other closely and slowly start to play with each other. Sometimes it can be aggressive to where you hear one kitty yelling if the other bit her... but even that is a technique to stop for a bit, then start all over playing aggressively again.

If you don't get another kitty, and keep these 2, I would almost bet to agree that they will be best buddies within a month at the most. I hope so...

The only problem I have had with 2 cats is that they become more dependent on each other than on us humans... we humans that feed, change their water, clean the litter, and vacuum up fur, puke, and even crap on the tile when for some reason they choose a different procedure to poo. I don't get this one because their litter is cleaned 2-3x day. For my cat crapping on the tile, she is huge, the only reason I think she did this is because she is getting too large for kitty litter box maybe. Diet time for her and myself too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat has stopped labor after one kitten [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this website and am worried about my cat. This is her second litter of kittens. She had one last night around 6pm. Then her labor stopped. She has not had another since and it has been almost 24 hours. Could something be wrong? I have seen a lot of kittens born but never had it take...

My cat had a kitten~~~~ [ 3 Answers ]

And it died.. it came out butt first and my friend told me that she is still in labor b.c she keep walking around the house a lot and puring and then mowing then growing does this sound like she is still in labor or was there just 1 kitten? Please help me ASAP:confused: :confused: :confused:

My cat killed her 4 week old kitten . Why? [ 4 Answers ]

My cat turned 1 year old on memorial day , she also gave birth to 1 kitten on that day . She and the kitten were doing fine until about a week ago when she began to move him all over the house from odd place to place . Finally 2 days ago she almost completely stopped nursing him . This morning she ...

Cat/kitten outcome? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are currently looking after a stray we found under our shed. Here goes the problems... she was pregnant delivered two days(JUNE 9TH) before I could catch her to take her to the vet, had 6 kittens all seemed OK all passed away day by day(maybe fading kitten syndrome?) with the last guys I...

Mother cat/newborn kitten question [ 2 Answers ]

Our cat gave birth to 5 kittens 11 days ago. All of them look very healthy and active. We have them in a very large rubber container 4 feet long/2 feet wide/2 feet tall that the mother can easily jump out of when she needs a break. We also have bedding on the bottom. We have fed the mother 2-3...

View more questions Search