Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Jun 15, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Is it time for potty training? Is he too young?
    My son is only 17 months old. He keeps taking off his diaper when it is wet, even if it is just a tiny bit of moisture. Sometimes I can get him to keep it on, but other times he just takes his pants off then takes his diaper off. He also shows when he is going, he will squat or grab himself (with both peeing and pooping). Sometimes he will go and hide behind something when he is going. I have put him on the toilet quite a few times but he has only really gone three times in it. I did reward him when he did go in the toilet. I have taken him to the bathroom with me when I go so he can see, and samething with his dad. I know he is showing signs he is ready but the thing that is making me think he is not ready is when I tried putting him on the toilet throughout the day, he will sit there for awhile with nothing, then get off and once I get his diaper on, then he goes. Everyone I know that has sons tell me that their kids were not potty trained until At least 2 years old. On average, most moms tell me 2 1/2 or 3 years old. I know every child is different, but is he too young? I don't want to try to force it at such a young age and make him hate going potty. Would you start this early or wait?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:03 AM

What we have always been told is that your child will tell you when he is ready. At 17 months I doubt he has the words to tell you, but it seems as though he is showing you. Next time you see him squatting, put him on a potty. After a couple times he might be able to go there himself. You are on the right track. It doesn't really matter if he is going on the potty or not... he is getting the idea. If he DOES go, praise him until he cannot take it anymore. If not, act like he did something anyway. "you used the potty! Good boy!"

My son loves stickers. Every time he tells us he has to use the potty, he gets a sticker on a chart.

He will of course need help for a while... but it sounds like he is interested. Him not liking a wet diaper is a good start.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:05 AM

Be prepared it may take until almost 4 to fully potty train a boy!
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Jun 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy View Post
    be prepared it may take until almost 4 to fully potty train a boy!
    :eek: I hope not!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca1025 View Post
    Depends on the child but that's been our experience too. He's now 4 and a few months and almost 100% there (nights are the toughest).
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca1025 View Post
    My son is almost 3 1/2 and is still (inconsistently) working on it. We mentioned it to the pediatrician and her response was "yeah? He's a good boy, healthy and well behaved... consider yourself lucky!" :)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:17 AM

Sounds like he is noticing the sensations that come along with having to go, but he isn't quite ready to be able to let you know ahead of time that he needs to go.

You could continue taking him in and letting him try once in awhile if you want to... won't hurt, but he will be more ready when he can actually tell you he needs to go, stays dry through the night or through naps, wants to be changed after he goes, etc..

When he is ready both physically and emotionally it will be relatively quick and easy. If you find you haven't made much headway after a couple of weeks, let it go for awhile and try again at a later time.

Keep in mind that some toddlers will "train" pretty early, but many more won't until closer to 3 or so, so try not to become discouraged if it doesn't happen right away.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Plus once kids figure out how those diapers tabs work they love to play with them, especially the velcro types.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:25 AM

Yes boys can take a while. The fact that he can already remove his diaper and pants is a big step but as Steve said, he also needs the language skills to be able to tell you when he has to go.

Get him used to the idea of having his own special potty. Put it out so that he can get familiar and comfortable with it being there.

Boys take longer to potty train. My son is 2 and doesn't even seem aware yet that anything is happening down there. He giggles though when he sees the urine stream. My 3 1/2 yr old nephew still has accidents so just wait a little longer until he can tell you he's ready to go.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Well it does seem he has an awareness of what's going on down there. Which is incredible for that age. Every child is different and will learn in there own pace. But it seems as though your on the right track. My son was trained a bit after 2 and I was proud of it. But at night forget it! He was still wearing pull ups to bed at 4. He just wouldn't wake up. But its all good now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training? [ 6 Answers ]

I just got a 6 week olg Pit Bull. Can anyone help with some tips on Potty Training I'm.

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is 3 and I can't seem to get her to go to the restroom she understands what you do in the restroom and all of that but we can't get her to tell us so that she can sit in her potty chair what can I do to get her ready so that she can go to school :confused: :confused: :confused:

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's one for the experienced moms in here. My son turned 3 in August and he is still not potty trained. I think I am at my wits end. He does go when he's at school with the other children. He never has accidents there but at home its like a train wreck. I have tried punishment I have tried...

Potty training my son [ 15 Answers ]

HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 months. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the...

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

View more questions Search