Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momofshepherd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 07:02 AM
    3 Yr. Old Sheperd that will not gain weight
    I have a beautiful healthy 3 yr. old sheperd who will not gain weight. Max has been very patient with us as he undergoes test after test. Poor guy! Thank God there is nothing going on with him. We currently feed him a high protein diet mixed with his regular food twice a day. However, there is always something left in his bowl. Is there a good food out there that will help him to gain weight or any good recipes I could add to his food? Expense is no issue! Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 07:22 AM

I have had a similar problem with one of my poodles, there is nothing medically wrong with him, he is just off his food.

Dogs can get bored with eating the same thing day in, day out so everyweek I add something new to make the food different but keep the same base ingredient.

Mine get dog sausage (dog roll) that I dice into cubes.
    I then microwave it for 30 seconds to soften it further.
    I then take a handful of raw beef mince and mix it through th dog sausage.
    You will want to wear gloves as it is not pleasant.
    Mine picked the meat out the first time I did it so you really havr to squish the meat into the dog roll and make a nice chunky paste that they can't pick bits out of...

Alternatively you could use canned food or soaked dry food if you do not like dog sausage and add mince to it.

It worked for me, Brody went from not wanting his food at all to polishing the plate just by adding a little heat and raw meat!

If you can get your hands on some lamb flap it is great for adding weight, it is fatty though so only feed a very small amount to start with and build it up over a week, once the dog has added a little weight you can stop using the lamb and feed regular food.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jun 15, 2009, 03:56 PM

How much does Max weigh. Shepherds are not the best eaters but they eat when hungry. My current shepherd weighs around 90 lbs. He was a skinny rail of a dog until about the third year. He was about 76 lbs. He filled out as he got a bit older. If the vet found nothing that's good. My dog is 11 now and always gets 4cups aday once aday of eagle pack natural. He almost never finishs it . I leave it down if he is hungry at night he will eat more.
    Do you feed once a day or twice? Maybe you want to leave the bowl down for him.
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Jun 16, 2009, 07:17 PM

Same here. I have a white German Shepherd, and no matter how much I fed her, she was just a bag of sticks. Still is, for the most part, though after her third or fourth year, she started to put on weight and keep it on. I think sometimes with Shepherds it has to do with time. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help than that...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Bribing a dog with rich food is NEVER a good idea. It creates an unbalanced diet and by the time symptoms show up, the pancreas or liver may be fatally damaged.

As the last 2 suggested, leave well enough alone. That is how many Shepherds are.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:28 AM

It's not bribing, it's just making the food more interesting.

Personally I would hate to eat the same thing day in day out which is why I use the same base ingredient as I said and add something to it (about 3/4 original food to 1/4 added 'flavour')

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I gain weight? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I gain weight?I am to slim that no clothes fit on me

How can I get my dog to gain weight ? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get my dog to gain weight ?

My dog needs to gain weight [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old female shepard and she is way to skinny. Her ribs are showing. I leave her food down all day and she appears to eat normally. Her bowl is never empty. What can I do to make her gain weight ?

I want to gain weight [ 1 Answers ]

I know it's always a problem for lots of women to lose wieght but in my case I want to gain weight... I eat a lot of junk food but it doesn't work!! Wats the most quick way??

Weight Gain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Was not to sure which category to put this under. Well I am a 33 year old female and I am 5'1 and weight about 95 or 96 lbs. I think I am underweight. But I eat like a pig. I am not picky at all with what I eat. So how would I go about gaining weight? What should I weight? I used to...

View more questions Search