Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angel_Wings1108 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Addicted to weed!
    Hi there:)
    Well I'm 21yrs old and have been smoking weed since I was 12.I used to smoke all day everyday but now I seem to be smoking too much I end up running out before night time.I now can go all day without, no problem but once it hits night time, just before bed I got to have it, I need it to get me to sleep. My problem is I'm now relying on it to get me to sleep at night and if I don't have any:eek: I'm abusing my partner, yelling, throwing things, punching things I'm basically labeled the LADY HULK.I hate that I now rely on it to get me to sleep otherwise I'm wide awake until I do get some, I've tried to gradually cut down to eventually stop but it just can't happen!. Its hard for me to come off it,and its pathetic how I act when I got none.I Do Need Help, any genuwine answers will be appreciated:)
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 06:47 AM

Well speaking to a local addictions counselor would be a good step, you need treatment, it will be difficult to self-help your addictions.

There isn't anything wrong with lying awake at night. You have mentally convenienced yourself that you can not fall asleep without getting high, but your body will fall asleep when it is tired enough. We have all had nights when it was difficult you are just correlating yours to your addiction. Maybe some time apart from your partner would help you as apparently you can not control your own withdrawl emotions. Try a week alone, don't smoke to fall asleep find something else that sooths you, read a book, tea, watch your favorite shows, listen to music... do anything calming to go to sleep... DO NOT SMOKE... eventually your body will force you to go to sleep. Each time that you fall asleep without being high will get easier, but you should do it alone, because making a partner fearful of you isn't going to help your situation.
    tryme45 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Well I must say that weed does calm your nerves and it helps you sleep if your used to it. If you can go all day without it your not as bad as you think. I know someone who has colon cancer and fibormyalga and it really helps him. If he doesn't have it he is in pain and a total freakin groucho as you said you are. I personally don't think pot is a horrible thing. It is grown natural and it really does ease you nerves and pain. Much better than anti-depressants and all those other medicines that help you but have 50 serious side affects. I'm not sure what to say. No offense meant by this but if you're pshyco without it just make sure you have a little. You could go to counseling but they'll probably tell you go to rehab. If you can handle quitting do it if not just keep yourself in control. Try something else when your out. Not other drugs I mean something that you like to do. Take a bubble bath to relax or excerise even if you don't feel like it. It's better than torturing your spouse!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:54 PM

Hello A:

Relaxxxx. Quitting cigarettes is hard. Quitting meth is hard. Quitting heroine is hard. Quitting cocaine is hard. Quitting any of the drugs you find in your parents medicine cabinet is hard. Quitting marijuana is easy.

The WORST that'll be, is you'll feel anxious for a couple days. It ain't nothing.

excon
    Angel_Wings1108 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello A:

Relaxxxx. Quitting cigarettes is hard. Quitting meth is hard. Quitting heroine is hard. Quitting cocaine is hard. Quitting any of the drugs you find in your parents medicine cabinet is hard. Quitting marijuana is easy.

The WORST that'll be, is you'll feel anxious for a couple days. It ain't nothing.

excon
    Heey:D
    I also have been smoking cigarettes since I was 11-12yrs old, the first time I tried to give it up I only lasted 2 weeks but that was because I wasn't really kean to give it up. Just last month I finally decided to quit for good and to this day I have been smoke free and its all because I actually wanted to give it up and I feel good. As for marajuana, I guess it depends on the person and how much they smoke a day so no I wouldn't say its easy.
    ainest Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2009, 08:22 AM

Now I wouldn't go so far as to label it easy, but I am someone who has been where you are, in both regards (cigarettes and weed)

Weed is incredibly habit forming. When your used to getting high, it seems like the only way to have fun. I used to smoke about an eighth a day, at least, or however much I could get my hands on. To say weed is not addictive is FALSE, and you and I both know that.

But listen very carefully to this: weed is NOT chemically addictive in any way, shape, or form. About 2 years ago I realized that I wasn't doing much in life, besides getting high and hanging out. Part of changing things, I knew, had to include kicking pot. And I will tell you this: it was hard to get away from. But I can also tell you this with confidence: after a mere 2 weeks to a month, you won't care at all anymore.

You'll feel less burnt out and more coherent, but you Won't EVEN NOTICE! You won't remember what it was like to be a stoner, aside from general dislike. You won't get urges (like cigarette cravings), you won't relapse, you just won't care. You'll go on living your life, and the whole thing will seem trivial.

Trust me. I've been there. It took a long time and many attempts for me to get away from it, but once your gone, your gone. Try to just stick out that first month, and you'll see what I mean. The quality of your life is at stake here.
    MeghanM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Hello A:

excon
    Statistically marijuana is one of the hardest drugs to got off. It is very addictive. If you really want to stop try and look up marijuana anonymous meetings in your area. If they don't have any you can go to a narcotics meeting as well as an alcoholics anonymous meeting. Find out which meeting you like and get a sponsor and work the steps.

I hope that this has been helpful to you. If you have any questions about the recovery laet me know. I have been in alcoholics anonymous for 5 years.
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MeghanM View Post
    Statistically marijuana is one of the hardest drugs to got off of. It is very addictive.
    Hello M:

I would like to SEE those statistics, cause I don't believe 'em. I stand by my earlier statements, and I will re-iterate one right here - cannabis is NOT addictive!

excon
    Flesh Posts: 24, Reputation: 7

Jul 1, 2009, 08:45 PM

Excon, everyone is diff and this person, like many others is noticing that Marijuanna is causing a problem in her life, and that she no longer wants to do it but is, AKA AN ADDICTION, you are an and if your not here to help leave.

Now to help you out.

I am also trying to quit smoking, I am 24 and smoked everyday for roughly 2 years and almost everyday for almost 5 and what is hard for me is how much it relaxes me, I am not an uptight person, but I am an angry one, and one of the main side effects of quiting at the start is dealing with the emotions that weed subdues, mainly anger and worry. The first 2 weeks are the hardest, because you are not used to feeling anger and do not know how to handle it without drugs and the fact that you are extra pissed because you do not have your drug so you may start to get pissed at really really silly things, but after about 2 weeks the mental addiction should begin to subside and it gets much easier to deal with, and after 3 months you will be on your way. I suggest you find ways to deal/cope with your anger and anxiety, I believe it is diff for each person.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 01:13 AM
    Some pundits say is that it is 'habitual' rather than physically additive.. .

Marijuana side effects also wreak havoc on the brain when the drug is used habitually. The ability to learn, remember and adapt quickly to changes is impaired by marijuana use. Depression often occurs with marijuana usage, which feeds into the cycle of more drug use to treat the pain created by drug use. This cycle of addiction is very powerful and users soon find that they cannot stop using the drug even if they want to.

Marijuana addiction is a progressive disease and marijuana side effects include withdrawal and obsessive thought with the drug when it is not made available. Addiction is identified as a compulsive, uncontrollable craving for the drug even with pending negative consequences.
    Marijuana Side Effects

Recent research has shown that people that start using M when they are young, are at greater risk of depression, and schizophrenic episodes. I think that it's great that you've decided to give it up - but you may find it difficult to do it on your own.

If you don't want to go to the doctor, why don't you speak to a good naturopath or homeopath who can assist you with natural remedies for sleeping, then you won't be so worried about giving up the weed.
    MeghanM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 01:55 AM
    Hello M:

I would like to SEE those statistics, cause I don't believe 'em. I stand by my earlier statements, and I will re-iterate one right here - cannabis is NOT addictive!!

excon

I mean really, are you trying to sound like a douchebag? What is the purpose of you being here if not to help somebody?
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 05:45 AM

Hello M:

I didn't think getting at the truth WAS being a douchebag. But, we're all different, I suppose.

excon
    ainest Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2009, 11:36 AM
    No sense in anyone getting hostile toward each other, here. The purpose of this forum is to help people, remember? Now lets be reasonable. Sure, marijuana is very likely not addictive in any scientific way; but virtually anything can be habit forming, from brushing your teeth to sitting in the same spot for your lunch break every day. Marijuana smoking, being an activity that takes up a lot of time and provides an actual high, is an especially habit forming activity. Scientific data doesn't matter here. What matters, is that someone is having a difficult time breaking a habit, and have thus resorted to this website for help. If you are unwilling or unable to help, simply don't post.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 11:47 AM

The mental part about it is what's hard when trying to stop smoking herb. I agree with ex once you get past the first couple of days it is smooth sailing. Of course if you are still around people who smoke it is very hard to get over the mental aspect of it.

Best thing to do is keep you mind occupied and just get away from people who do still smoke it for a little bit. It is "easier" then you think!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 01:35 PM

Weed may not be addictive but when a person is so use to the feeling they have when they are high then they ARE addicted to that feeling. I know many people who do weed and if they don't have it they are purely miserable with life and everything in it. Then they smoke a joint and its like their entire personality changed so in that sense I do see an addiction. But as with ANY habit you have to WANT to quit!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I addicted to weed [ 18 Answers ]

Hi my name is sherry, My husband tells me I have a problem with weed. This is my first time asking a question on this site. Let me tell you a little about myself. I work 40+ hrs a week I pay every bill in my home I don't smoke everyday probably 3 times a week.I have a kid that's 4 yrs old he wears...

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Boyfriend addicted to weed ! [ 16 Answers ]

My fiancce of 5 years is addicted to weed when we first met he was addicted to cocaine but he stopped that but replaced it with weed he has smoked for 4 and a half years we have 1 beautiful son and have been trying for another baby for 2 years , we have both been tested at the doctors and I am fine...

How does someone get addicted? [ 8 Answers ]

How does someone get addicted to such things as anorexia, bulemia, cutting themselves and things like that, when you aren't putting anything into your body as if you were doing drugs or drinking alcohol? :confused:

View more questions Search