Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feddy101 Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Jun 14, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Are city schools or ruaral schools better?
    Are city schools or ruaral schools better in your opinions? What are the pros and cons for each type?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 09:16 PM

Larger town schools, the place in the middle

When you say ciy schools, what do you mean, inner city schools of Atlanta, Los Angles, New York.
    Then you have to like poor learning conditions, metal detectors at the doors, armed police in the halls and a general attmosphere where it is a bad thing to be a good student.

Then of course a rual school may have under paid teachers, lack of lab equipment, less types of classes

I can tell you personally I had a friend who was on the school board for a major city school, they told me to do anything I could to keep my child out of that school system.

Now are you talking about charter schools in larger cities, that have advanced classes and higher paid teachers perhaps.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 09:32 PM

Hi, feddy101!

Yes, it would help to have some additional information as to why you're asking the question, please?

Thanks!
    feddy101 Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Jun 15, 2009, 07:07 PM

I don't mean really big cities like LA and New York. I mean cities like Christchurch in NZ with lots of pupils as opposed to small schools out in the country with only about 100 students.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 08:47 PM

Hi again, feddy101!

If there are lots of pupils in a classroom, then there will be less likely for there to be more individual attention by the teacher given to each student.

This is really kind of a toss-up as far as which school setting would be the best concerning city schools as compared to rural schools.

My own opinion would be, that the smaller the classroom size, the better for the teacher to be able to teach and the students to be able to learn the best.

Why are you asking the question, please? Also, have you considered private schools?

Thanks!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
    No perfect answer for this.

My son attends a montesorri school that is about one mile farther than the closest public school. Both are "city" schools, midwest USA.

The closer school was recently renovated, had great teachers, and is going to be, in my opinion, a school of great works and a great furure.

Its just my kid excels in the other school. Ill fight tooth and nail to keep his there as long as I can, even when there is an excellent city school within two blocks of my home.

So.. I don't think its as easy as stating city vs rural... I think you need to take the child's abilities into considoration and then look at the opportunities that are available.

Kids usually pull through the noise in spite of us. I firmly believe that even with all the attention I've given my son, that he is good in spite of me, not because of me. Somewhat, at least.

The program my son is in and the great teachers are what make me send him there... he seems to be thriving. Maybe its tied to my decisions. Maybe not.

I don't know.

Having taught at higher levels, I always look for teachers who seem enthusiastic and called to do the work they are doing. It is hard work. Good teaching takes effort and time and energy.

So... I don't think you can generalize too much. You are going to have to do some homework.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing Schools [ 6 Answers ]

I Will Be Changing Schools Next Year To A Catholic School, I Am Now Currently In A Public School. I Am Not Catholic But I Go To A Christan Church Group Sometimes. My Mum Isn't Very Happy About The Schools Since I Have Had 6 S.O.S.E Teachers This Year, And Around 3 English Teachers, The School...

Hunting Schools [ 2 Answers ]

Are there such things as hunting schools, where they teach how to hunt game (tracking, setting up stands, field dressing, etc.)? I can sloppily field dress rabbit, but want to move up to big game. I just don't know anybody that hunts that could teach me.

Maritime Law Schools [ 1 Answers ]

Am presently serving as a Second Mate on Merchant Marine Ships and am looking forward to enrol for a maritime Law school to upgrade my educational Qualification and pursue a career as a Marine Lawyer. I will be grateful if you can provide me with the details of the universities offering the...

Looking at new schools [ 0 Answers ]

Where can I find questions to ask a principal at a new school I am interviewing?

View more questions Search