Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turbobrnr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Safety switches are unhooked
    All the safety switches have been bypassed and I need the wiring diagram to locate the main safety block.
    turbobrnr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by turbobrnr View Post
    All the safety switches have been bypassed and I need the wiring diagram to locate the main safety block.
    Murray 18 hp tractor model 3-39004 not getting any spark, but ran fine before I changed the battery and belts.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 12:51 PM

Hi,
    You appear to have a very old machine; 1980's? It will have an oppsed twin engine and you can easily check the ignition for viability by isolating it from the frame of the machine. What that does is tell you if your problems lie in the engine or the tractor itself.
    There should be a wire that is on the left of the machine and goes to a spade connector on a threaded post in a white plastic block beneath and almost behind the air filter box. Unplugging this wire (usually yellow but could be white) will provide isolation and you can now turn the engine over and check for spark. NOTE: the switch cannot turn the engine off if it cranks as that wire is the ignition ground!
    If you have fire with the wire unplugged, then you will have to check the rest of the machine. If you do not have fire, then at some point in your changing the battery or something else electrical, you have applied battery voltage to that ignition ground wire which has blown the secondary windings of the coil. There is only one and it fires both plugs with every turn of the engine. Eight bolts hold the blower housing on, but you will have to remove the air filter, cover and base to get to two of them, if you should need to get there.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L 110 Safety Switches [ 2 Answers ]

How can I disable the safety switch in my seat?

JohnDeere LX176, Safety Switches [ 4 Answers ]

I have a JD LX176 14.5 hp w/Kawasaki engine. It started and ran great until I put a new front draft arm to level the deck, as it was bought used with the draft missing. As soon as this arm was installed, I turned the key and it tried to turn over, then "JUST STOPPED". Since then, it has not turned...

Murray safety switches [ 2 Answers ]

Murray 12 hp 30" rider model # 30577x8a I have brand new solinoid and ignition switch, and cleaned the ign switch wiring harness. Still nothing when key is turned. Battery is fine. Must be safety switches? How do I get to each and either fix or bypass them? Pictures would be nice. Thanks.

Safety Switches on MTD Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a model 13Bi675H062 Lawn Tractor. It will not start and I have been told that the solenoid needs replacing. I purchased one today. Yesterday someone got it to crank by jumping it on the solenoid that is in it but when I put it in gear to go forward, it would not stay cranked. The...

View more questions Search