Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevin71966 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Hotpoint dryer overheating
    I got this dryer disassembled from a guy who tried to fix it, said it shut off.

I got it all back together and it runs good but gets way too hot.

I checked for air blockage, airflow SEEMS fine, I do have a 90 degree bend in the exhaust tube, but don't think it's enough to cause the overheating. (could be wrong?)

If you open the door while running, the heating element is red hot, the back of the inside will BURN you, and the element takes about 20 seconds to turn off even though the door is open and the dryer has stopped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 11, 2006, 05:58 PM
    If your dryer is getting to hot, it would have to be, the high limit, or the thermostat.
    In my maytag, the high limit is right above the element, and will "click" when it is tripped, it doenst take much. The thermostat is down by the blower moter under the barrel.

However its sounding like your high limit isn't tripping like it should, however it would also seem that you are having another problem, when you open the door, ALL dryer operations should STOP, including the heating element. I would actually have to see a wiring diagram of your dryer to tell you where to go there, but first verify the high limit is working.

Also, if you go down to the t-stat make sure all the lint is cleaned out in that area. Having blockages could pose a fire hazard.

Oct 11, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Thanks for the help
    After my first post I went to unplug the dryer for the night cause I didn't trust it
    And discovered the heating element was STILL on an hour later! {not red hot but definitely still on)
    Good thing I didn't trust it plugged in!

Lucky the damn thing didn't catch fire-there were still clothes in it from the test load.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Check your thermostat

Jan 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
    UPDATE
    I took this to a repair shop, they couldn't figure it out and called an independent repairman and he finally figured out the previous owner had some wires near or at the motor backwards. It has been running fine ever since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating [ 7 Answers ]

My 1987 Jeep Cherokee is overheating, and we have been Unable to fix the problem. A new therostat has been put in. It runs for about 10 minutes, and then we can see the coolant starting to bubble, so we turn it off. The fan is running, and there doesn't seems to be any leaks. HELP It has...

How do I change the bearings on a hotpoint 9534? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi knowledgeable people! :) How do I change the bearings on a Hotpoint 1000 plus 9534 washing machine? I know it's an old model but I'm sure it still has some life in it yet! Does the drum have to come out and if so, how is that done? :confused: Any advice will be most appreciated! Thanks

92 Civic LX Overheating [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a 92 Civic 115k miles, runs great but overheats. Changed radiator, thermostat, relay and hoses. It appears that the fan does not turn on when idling or when I turn it off. When on the highway it runs cool. The mechanics can't find what's wrong. Could it be the sending unit? ...

Indicator lights on Hotpoint Range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We picked up a used Hotpoint range the other day. After plugging it in we tested the oven and the burners. Everything seems to be working fine except for the indicator lights. When the oven dial is set to OFF, the oven indicator light turns on. When the dial is set to anything else (BAKE,...

Hotpoint gas dryer won't heat up! [ 2 Answers ]

undefinedundefined I replaced the igniter on my gas dryer as it was crumbling anyway. That was my first thought as to why my dryer may not be heating up. Guess what, that wasn't the problem. The dryer just quit heating all of the sudden and as I said I thought the igniter may be the problem. As we...

View more questions Search