Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadkumar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 02:27 AM
    power or torque of 12v dc motor 1400rpm
    I have A 12v dc motor of 1400 rpm. I want to calculate its power or torqe. I do not know
    current consumption .it derives belt pully system (velocity ratio- 2)and generates net output 180 joule

sir please let me know the result or formula to calculates its power or torque .may I calculate its (power = energy/ time) by this one ?
    lanevo9mrgsr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadkumar View Post
    I have A 12v dc motor of 1400 rpm. I want to calculate its power or torqe. I do not know
    current consumption .it derives belt pully system (velocity ratio- 2)and generates net output 180 joule

sir please let me know the result or formula to calculates its power or torque .may i calculate its (power = energy/ time) by this one ?
    a 12v dc motor can usually take up to 600mA current at full load and 50mA at no load
    so it should give a max output power(depends an how much load is put on it)=12volts x 0.6A=7.2 watts or more(mine takes up to 760mA)... torque output of the motor can be calculated as:
    torque x angular velocity=power

angular velocity=(rpm/60) x 2 x (pi)... (check this formula with someone else... I am not sure about it)

given 1400rpm
    so torque should be 0.049 kg-m or 4.9 kg-cm

you sure it doesn't have gears... if it has gears,then torque will be different

let speed of the motor be 1400 rpm without any gears(rated speed)

if gears are used to make speed more than rated,torque output(torque that can be used by us)is lesser.
    if gears are used to make speed less than rated,torque output is more.

to know the current taken by motor:
    1)ask any electrical shop that is willing to help you
    2)use a multimeter(it costs about Rs.600)... borrow it from if you can... he will know how to use it.
    3)ask the shop who sold the motor.
    lanevo9mrgsr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadkumar View Post

sir please let me know the result or formula to calculates its power or torque .may i calculate its (power = energy/ time) by this one ?
    pi=3.14(this value is constant around the world)

2 x pi=the angle swept by a point on the shaft when it undergoes 1 full rotation

rpm/60=(revolutions per minute)/60=revolutions per second

the actual torque output will be lesser because of friction and other losses... the losses will be much more if you use gears... but sometimes gears are better suited for some jobs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting power for a motor. [ 1 Answers ]

dear friends, i would like to know what will be the starting power for a motor. i have heard that it will take almost double the power while starting. is it true. is it different for single phase and three phase motor. what is the concept and how is it calculated. if i want to put solar...

Motor power [ 1 Answers ]

I require to move a trailer of 1000 kgs using a electric motor. What is the power of the motor I need to use. (what motor do I need to us)

Wire Motor for 220 outlet Power from 110 power [ 1 Answers ]

I need to wire this sander for 220 power and do not understand the diagram well enough. Currently I believe it is wired for 110 shown in picture. Please advise about correct wiring for 220. Thank you 2 attachments

Comparison of torque and power [ 1 Answers ]

How torque and power of cars can be correctly compared, as it is normally specified in different rpm's.

Nissan pickup idling at 1400rpm [ 2 Answers ]

Never had any real problem with the truck and still sounds and runs great but just recently it has been idling at around 1400 rpm instead of around 800. Since I have replaced the Pcv vavle and cleaned entire intake manifold and could not find a vacuum leak or gasket leak. Thinking about cleaning...

View more questions Search