Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jo_123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Dissertaion Topic 'Performance Management'
    Hi guys, I am currently undertaking a Msc in Human Resource Management, and about to embark on my dissertation. I am thinking about doing it on performance management, but can not think of a topic to start me off.

The dissertation has tobe based on my organisation, which is in the voluntary sector and we run a number of Family Centres and Children/Family Support Projects. Until recently the organisation has been very lapse on performance management and we currently have a number of managers who are a 'law unto themselves' and very cunningly and secretly do not undertake any work, they just pass it on to other junior members of staff.

I would like, if possible, to centre my dissertation around this.

Any suggestion etc extremely welcome.

Cheers

Jo
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 10:35 AM

Does your organization do performance evaluations at all levels? If so, who evaluates the performances of these renegade managers? If not, who should? What about oversight (by whom), board meetings, peer reviews? What is the effectiveness of this organiation?

Check out this site (PDF file) --

http://managementhelp.org/perf_mng/perf_mng.htm

Jun 13, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Hi there Wondergirl, thanks for the quick reply. Presently, no-one undertakes performance management with any employee. Managers have "appraislas" with the Prjects' Manager, whilst the wayward managers undertake "appraisals" with their staff.

The whole organisation really needs changing, and although I have been employeed by the organisation for 6 years, this is a new role and this is my first job in HR and is all a bit daunting!

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Cheers
    Jo
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 02:15 PM

Please answer my questions about who is in charge of the organization (a board, a president?? ) and about the effectiveness of the organization.

What clout do you have to make changes?

Jun 14, 2009, 12:58 AM

There is a board who is ultimately in charge of the organisation, however the day to day running is down to the Executive Officer. It is she who carries out the supervision/appraisals of the managers, (or should I say should). Up until three weeks ago there was only her in charge of the whole organisation, and between meetings, fund raising etc, she had no time for supervision/appraisals, this is why we are in the mess we are in.

I have been brought on board as Projects' Manager for HR & HS. I am also going to carry out supervision/appraisals of employees with the individual projects managers.

Effectiveness of the organisation: Good. It has an excellent reputation within the County where we work. Although, there is one project that is failing badly, and it is this one manager who really needs to be dealt with ASAP.

I have clout to make whatever changes I see fit, the Executive Officer respects me and believes that changes need to be made, urgently.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_123 View Post
    There is a board who is ultimately in charge of the organisation, however the day to day running is down to the Executive Officer. It is she who carries out the supervision/appraisals of the managers, (or should I say should). Up until three weeks ago there was only her in charge of the whole organisation, and between meetings, fund raising etc, she had no time for supervision/appraisals, this is why we are in the mess we are in.

I have been brought on board as Projects' Manager for HR & HS. I am also going to carry out supervision/appraisals of employees with the individual projects managers.

Effectiveness of the organisation: Good. It has an excellent reputation within the County where we work. Although, there is one project that is failing badly, and it is this one manager who really needs to be dealt with ASAP.

I have clout to make whatever changes I see fit, the Executive Officer respects me and believes that changes need to be made, urgently.
    Do you have in mind what you want for performance appraisals? They shouldn't be ""report cards" only, but something to look to the future, for goals.

Do you know what you will do with the failing project and the manager of it?

Jun 14, 2009, 01:36 AM

We want the failing project to succeed. We have put two new members of staff in and they are really good. Although, they are now saying that they cannot work with the manager and are looking for work elsewhere. Obviously, we do not want to lose these two.

As for the manager, she is difficult as she does everything slyly, but the new staff members have now stated they will speak up about the problems, aslong as both the Exec officer and I back them, which obviously we will. I thought about going through the managers job description with her and re-addressing it, as it is about 7 years old. From this I will set monthly targets and if not met start the disciplinary procedure. What do you think? Or do you have other suggestions?

As for the performance management, as I have never done anything like this before, I do not have anything in mind yet. Suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 01:40 AM
    From this I will set monthly targets and if not met start the disciplinary procedure. What do you think? Or do you have other suggestions?
    Sounds good!

As for the performance management, as I have never done anything like this before, I do not have anything in mind yet. Suggestions would be great.
    Did you look at the link (web site) I gave you? Some good stuff there.

Jun 14, 2009, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Sounds good!

Did you look at the link (web site) I gave you? Some good stuff there.
    I had a quick look and have saved it to my favourites. I intend to take a look at it today.

I have just realised you are over in the US, what time is it over there?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 01:47 AM
    I had a quick look and have saved it to my favourites. I intend to take a look at it today.

I have just realised you are over in the US, what time is it over there?
    3:45 - am off to bed. Where are you? England?

Jun 14, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    3:45 - am off to bed. Where are you? England?
    In the UK, but in Wales.

Thanks for your help
    Jo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Management Accounting Research Topic [ 1 Answers ]

I have to write a research paper for Management Accounting (or Cost Acct whichever you want to call it) and I don't have a clue what a good topic would be. Any ideas?

International Business dissertaion [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international business student and will be starting my dissertation next year. However I wanted to get a head start but no-one at my university will help me and they said I had to wait until September. My dissertation is between 8,000-10,000 words and I have been looking up...

Management Tools to Assess Health & Performance [ 1 Answers ]

What are the management tools that you will use to make a thorough assessment about the health and performance of this company?(Krispy Kreme Doughnuts) What are the most important managerial and financial accounting skills needed for your assessment? Thanks Again, JBs Femme

View more questions Search