Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helloworld Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
    Money not mine, but will send to me
    Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take the money. But the problem was this bank needed a direct relative from the US to receive the money. So, stupid me I said I am from the US and I am the relative of this couple, which of course I wasn't. I sent them the papers to show I was related (oh please don't ask me how I did it, but I did :-[). One thing after another, this year today, they called me and said they can wire me the money. But the MAIN problem is the couple's real daughter who is also the only living relative is still alive in CANANDA ( I found that out later after I had said I had sent the papers to show my relationship with the dead couple when I researched on the couple through their association in CANADA).

So, what should I do? Should I accept the money or not ? And why didn't they contact the couple's only remaining survivor--their only living daughter who is 22 yrs. Old by now? Well, I knew it sounded too good to be true but, I stupidly send the papers anyway. So now the Egyptian bank got me tailed and they say they want a cut of the money when I get it. They said they are willing to fly over to the US and get their share. Im thinking they could easily afterwards then run with the money and leave me high and dry doing time in jail. I don'twant to report to the FBI because I started this whole mess, and I can't contact the daughter in CANADA because I'm aleady in deep with faking my relationship with the dead couple.

Oh please, oh please will all you experts sho me how to get out of this crazy mess? Thank you very much! :-X :'(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 24, 2003, 05:49 AM
    Re: Money not mine, but will send to me
    I imagine you'll get lots of replys on this. Let me be the first. THIS IS A SCAM!! There is no money. The next step of the scam will be to ask you to give them your bank account number and PIN so they can transfer "The Millions Of Dollars" to you. You, of course, will be allowed to keep a percentage for letting them use your account for the transfer. The final stage of this scam will be when they drain your account of all its money. DROP IT NOW! Cease any more communication except to tell them you're not available. THEN, NO MORE COMMUNICATION. You're not in deep water yet. They don't toss you in the slammer for being naïve. I have got E-mails from Nigeria Africa from saying that they heard I was a honest man,( How I don't know) and would I be willing to accept 25 million they were attempting to get out of the country. For this I would get a percentage for using my account. One more time, BEWARE! SCAM IN PROGRESS! And you're it. Back off and count yourself lucky you asked someone about bit before it went any further. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't. Good luck, Tom
    helloworld Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2003, 07:03 AM
    OK thank you very much speedball. ;D You really help me ease my worry now that I hear you also had this same experience. I been really scared about this all day and night and I had to get up this early this morning to check on any response. I did as you suggested. Im ignoring all their e-mails and phone calls. Im going to change my e-mail, telephone # and even going to move to another place, just to make sure they don't track me down. By the way speedball, do you know if there is a way that I can track down their e-mail account? I mean is there a way to find out where their e-mail is really coming from. My sense tells me that they may actually be right here in the US. Do you supposed so? THank You very much speedball for taking the time out to explain to me about the truth. Now I feel much better now. ;D :D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2003, 08:01 AM
    Whoa! :o Not so fast with the paranoia. Nobody's going to single you out and come after you. They shoot these scams like spam hoping someone will bite on it. You're just one of countless many that were contacted. You called attention on yourself when you responded, so they called you. Your concerns that this might be a U.S.A. operation are groundless. The only reason they can't be arrested for fraud is that they really are in Africa. Once they get their greedy little paws on your bank account and drain it they just shut down and fade away to open another site looking for another sucker. I would respond one more time to their E mails and tell them that you are no longer interested in their offer. If they persist then I would copy their E-mails and send them mto MSN along with a complaint that you are being harassed.. One more time. RELAX! YOU'RE NOT THE GUILTY PARTY. YOU'RE THE PONTENTIAL VICTEM IN ALL THIS. :'( So cheer up! ;D You're not in any trouble and you still have your bank account. You're ahead of the game. Just cease any more communication after you tell them you're not interested and they'll look for someone else. Remember what I told you. If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't!! Cheers, Tom
    kumar Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Mar 24, 2006, 07:34 AM
    ONE SAMPEL MAIL WHICH I RECD JUST RECENTLY:-

FROM THE DESK OF THE DIRECTOR
    INTERNATIONAL PRIZE AWARD DEPT

Attn Lucky Winner,

WINNING NOTIFICATION FOR CATEGORY 'A' WINNER ONLY

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the last final annual
    draw of our Lottery International Programs.

The online cyber lotto draws was conducted from an exclusive list of
    25,000,000 e-mail addresses of individual and corporate bodies picked by an advanced automated random computer search from the internet. No tickets were sold.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

After this automated computer ballot, your e-mail address emerged as a
    winner in the category 'A' with the following numbers attached Ref
    Number:.. Batch Number... and Ticket Number:... You are therefore to receive a cash prize of $2,500,000.00. (Two Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) from the total payout

ONGRATULATIONS!! Your prize award has been insured with your e-mail address and will be transferred to you upon meeting our requirements, statutory obligations, verifications, validations and satisfactory report. To file in for the processing of your prize winnings, you are advised to contact our Certified and Accredited claims agent for category 'A' winners with the information below:
    Mr. James Martins
    E-mail:
    Phone:
    You are advice to provide him with the following information:
    Names:
    Telephone/Fax number:
    Nationality:
    NOTE: All winnings must be claimed not later than 14 days, thereafter
    unclaimed funds would be included in the next stake. Remember to quote your reference information in all correspondence.

You are to keep all lotto information confidential, especially your
    reference and ticket numbers. (This is important as a case of double
    claims will not be entertained).Members of the affiliate agencies are
    automatically not allowed to participate in this program.

Furthermore, should there be any change of address do inform our agent as soon as possible.

Congratulations once more from our members of staff and thank you for being part of our promotional program.

Yours Faithfully,
    Walter Jones.
    Lottery Co-ordinaton
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2006, 09:23 AM
    As fr chuck once mentioned, be an honest person and you'll usually avoid messes like this.

You forged docs for money that wasn't yours. You're lucky this is a scam. But that doesn't fix the defect that let you believe it was OK to do this in the first place.

Maybe you've learned your lesson. You don't need to run from the cops if you've done nothing wrong in most cases.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Mar 24, 2006, 09:58 AM
    It is a scam, I get so many of thses a day it is not funny, I have more people wanting to give me money than people wanting to adopt piggies.next time you get one just delete it.
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Mar 24, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Yes, any email that sounds too good to be true usually is. People don't just go around handing out money. Nothing's free, and the chances of a random stranger "singling you out" for a special offer when you've done nothing to solicit one is close to zero.

Perhaps a spam filter on your inbox would help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2006, 01:52 PM
    My God, I have been quoted, it almost makes me feel important. Got to go to confession tomorrow for sure now.

But yes, this is a scam, they want your bank account numbers, they will send though normally a few dollars to test it, then they will take every penny you have in the bank out. And since they are in south africa you have no way at all to sue or get your money back.

It happens every day to people who believe they are trying to cheat someone, or if they believe they can get away with something.

Also if you sent them a lot of identy info, they may already be using that for identy thief, getting credit or borrowing money in your name now.

First, no more contact with these people.

There are major banks in Africa with all the names you will see on your banks down down, there is no problem wiring money from Africa to the US, or to Egpt or even Iraq. I wire money to africa for our church missions every month, and they wire money for payments to us all the time.

I send money to Iraq even ( guess someone will be wiretaping this email)
    But they want to scam people who don't know better or who want to get some money by cheating the system.

But if the banks had money from an estate in Egypt, and they died in Africa, it would be a law firm in Egypt that would be doing any estate work to get the money out. And there is no propram Egypt is part of the International Banking system and they would merely wire the money to the administor of the estate, not to an heir anyway,
    prefabber Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Hello, I receive these thinks all the time. I got one today that says I can get a whole lot of money(8,500,000.) IF I do these things. DON'T THINK SO.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Sites like these can be really helpful too

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/doznalrt.htm

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identi...ge-library.htm

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerP...ail_scams.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I accept money not that's not mine? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if I am in big trouble with US LAW or not. Last year in May, My chat friend said she chatted with this new person and he said he needs help wiring the millions of dollars his Egypt bank found after a famous CANADIAN couple died in AFRICA 3 years ago, or else the bank would take...

My gsd son of mine - just wondering [ 7 Answers ]

:) You guys are the best for any questions so thanks ahead -- I have a 10 mo old gsd pup he is with me all day and night -- and usually when I go somewhere -- if he is left alone it is only for no more than 6-8 hrs max -- he is trained and knows every trick I can think of and learns them fast --...

Her past and mine... [ 14 Answers ]

Now what Im going to write I have cut short to save your eyes hurting apoligies if its still long... I have just turned 20 and basically I am in love for the first time and to be honest this is my first real relationship both physically and mentally, when I was 18 I did something I regret massively...

A friend of mine [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 27 years old stud lesbian.I'm in a relationship that I'm really not happy with.The female and I live together but I feel that we have no compatibilty with one another.So I've been having dreams about this female that is my friend and I think no I know that I'm very attracted to her.She's a Leo...

View more questions Search