Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    True, but hey, the ones I found are purty! ;)
    My favorite is the top ring. May have to upgrade my bubble gum machine ring :D:p
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Jul 27, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    my favorite is the top ring. may have to upgrade my bubble gum machine ring :D:p
    Awww... I'll get it for u... :)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:44 PM

Well, my husband proposed to me with a ring from walmart. You know, the one out on the floor in the open, for anywhere between 7$-9$. It was very pretty. Looked like the necklace on the titanic movie. Had a blue heart, glass, and white glass surrounding it.

If you love each other, what is wrong with buing a ring together? My husband gave me that ring as a surprise, and then we shopped for, and split the cost of my current rings.

Here is the link to the place I got my wedding rings at. Its not that bad with prices.

Cubic Zirconia Jewelry, Sterling Silver Jewelry, Celebrity Inspired Jewelry, Fake Diamond Jewelry, CZ Replica Jewelry - Fantasy Jewelry Box

Here is a specific link to the ones I got in case you were curious ;)

The Elizabeth Sapphire Blue CZ Wedding Ring Set

Yes. They are CZ instead of real diamonds... but I personally feel that if a woman is willing to turn a man down simply because he cannot get her a real diamond... she didn't deserve him in the first place. Its what's in your heart that matters, not what's in your wallet or on your finger.

Money does NOT buy love.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 11:55 PM

I agree that you don't HAVE to have a ring to propose. BUT you are offering a ring as a promise towards marriage, and that is the essence of the proposal (in my opinion). My suggestion is to just pay for the ring over time. Make monthly payments. Most places will let you exchange the ring at a later date if she wants something different. You can go together later and choose what SHE likes, but for now make your best guest. IN FACT, ask her best friend what she wants. Girls talk about these things. And if not, her friend can always bring her a wedding magazine and say something along the lines of "You know its gonna happen eventually, let's choose our wedding dresses and rings. Hell, let's make a scrapbook." I've been the friend that he friend's boyfriend came to before... Hehe.

I wish you the best of luck!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I agree that you don't HAVE to have a ring to propose. BUT you are offering a ring as a promise towards marriage, and that is the essence of the proposal (in my opinion). My suggestion is to just pay for the ring over time. Make monthly payments. Most places will let you exchange the ring at a later date if she wants something different. You can go together later and choose what SHE likes, but for now make your best guest. IN FACT, ask her best friend what she wants. Girls talk about these things. And if not, her friend can always bring her a wedding magazine and say something along the lines of "You know its gonna happen eventually, let's choose our wedding dresses and rings. Hell, let's make a scrapbook." I've been the friend that he friend's boyfriend came to before...Hehe.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hi, Chi! I guess we travel in different circles these days because I haven't seen you around.

Would no engagement ring be a deal breaker for you?

I like Alty's rings (interlocking) and in that instance I would wear an engagement ring.

My husband did buy a diamond for me later and at one point wanted to "upgrade" it - I said no. I liked the original. In fact, I've had it reset into a pendant.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:55 AM

This is my ring;

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Name:  Haircut 2009 043.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  34.7 KB

Nothing too fancy, but I love it. I love how the two rings become one, just like hubby and I when we married.

Okay, that was a bit corny.

Sorry. :o
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jul 28, 2009, 03:56 PM

I agree that you don't HAVE to have a ring to propose. BUT you are offering a ring as a promise towards marriage, and that is the essence of the proposal (in my opinion)

Personally no ring wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me but as a romantic at heart there would have been some deep hidden disappointment. My engagement ring isn't fancy or expensive but I wouldn't trade it or upgrade it for the world.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 04:14 PM

I just added my wedding ring to my profile photos - how did you post it here?

(Side topic, I know.)
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Jul 29, 2009, 04:05 PM

I bought my fiance's engagement ring from a custom jeweler who makes this stuff, so it was something she'd like. I thought it was a big deal, till the guy who was getting another ring in there for his fiancé was talking to me about how much his ring cost and how he was going to propose... made the way I did it seem like nothing, but hey, I'm engaged, and my fiancé is crazy about her ring and everything, so I can't complain...

Therefore, its not about the ring, or the way you do it. As long as its honest and I guess memorable, that's what counts.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 04:18 PM

I didn't get a proposal.

I got my engagement ring a week before the wedding. We used a small diamond that had been in his grandmother's engagement ring (the ring itself was broken beyond repair. My wedding ring, his wedding ring, and my engagement ring came to a grand total of $89--in a mall jewelry store.

Unless you're typing from the library--you can afford an engagement ring. It just comes down to how much you're willing to sacrifice to save for one.

HOWEVER---put a LOT of thought into doing it the way you want it remembered. If YOU want to remember giving her a ring, then save up, or get creative, or lower your standards. I think more women dream about their engagement than they do about their wedding, so my advice is to be creative and make it memorable, for both of you.

Only YOU will know whether she'd be disappointed in not having a ring.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albie2 View Post
    I want to propose marriage to my girlfriend, but I cannot afford an engagement ring. Is there etiquette around this and/or how do I arrange a still heartfelt proposal?
    You may opt an inexpensive way for proposing her. Consider a white gold ring without diamond or a heart pendant.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennycarol View Post
    You may opt an inexpensive way for proposing her. Consider a white gold ring without diamond or a heart pendant.
    He might have figured something out or saved something up in the last six months.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Dec 26, 2009, 06:27 PM

My family would have said to me if that happened," you know what the birdy says... cheap cheap cheap! Everybody will ask to see the ring. GET A RING! Any ring!
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckynut View Post
    my family would of said to me if that happened," you know what the birdy says.... cheap cheap cheap!! everybody will ask to see the ring. GET A RING! any ring!

To quote Catsmine: "He might have figured something out or saved something up in the last six months."

To quote me: "Did you read what has already been posted?"
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 06:55 AM

To quote ME: This thread is closed because people obviously cannot look at dates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Engagement Ring [ 3 Answers ]

What law applies when one party lives in a state where the ring is a conditional gift and the other lives in a state where it is based on who calls it quits?

Engagement Ring [ 5 Answers ]

I was curious if I can get it back. The thing is I live in NY and the girl I am Engaged to is in another country... what should I do and can I get the ring back? TT

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

View more questions Search