Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    txwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 04:18 AM
    Sexless Marriage
    My husband and I have been married for 18 years. We have not had sex for the past 2 years. Before that, we had sex a maximum of 6x a year. I have to admit, I have not been interested in sex with him for a very long time. Mind you, I LOVE SEX, just not turned on by him. He's a nice man, hard-working, and everybody's friend. I'm just not that in to him... so hate to say... I love him, but I'm no longer IN LOVE with him. We have two high school children, but I'm not sure they can "make me stay".

I finally approached him about the issue because it was apparent he didn't care to have sex either. In fact, he said at one time that I should be glad he wasn't like other guys and always wanting it. Anyway, I approached the subject recently and he said, "Oh I want sex and I could have it 3 times a week, but you turned me down too many times, so I quit asking." He said this started 10 years ago and for the past two, he was waiting for me to come to him. I didn't. Well, I asked him where he was getting it since he said he could do it 3x a week. He said he'd been masterbating all this time. I've never EVER accidentally walked in on him masterbating... never seen any signs at all.

I find his explanation to be VERY hard to believe. I've talked to very close male friends and they all tell me the same thing, "He's either gay or getting it somewhere...no man will just masterbate for two years."

I have to add that I've often been told how attractive I am. I'm petite and keep myself in very good shape. My husband says I should stop trying so hard because I don't have anyone else I need to impress. He recently told me I need to just settle into our life and be comfortable... stop looking for excitement. I feel dead... feel like I'm just going through the motions and don't want to wake up someday having missed out on life. I feel unloved and I'm just not in to him at all anymore. I'm not a bad person... just want love and happiness. Since I brought up the subject of sex and the fact that I'm not in love with him, he's trying WAY too hard to be affectionate and it's just turning my stomach. Help!

Questions for those of you who might have insight, please!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 08:06 AM

Have the two of you tried marriage counseling?
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jun 13, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txwife View Post
    My husband and I have been married for 18 years. We have not had sex for the past 2 years. Before that, we had sex a maximum of 6x a year. I have to admit, I have not been interested in sex with him for a very long time. Mind you, I LOVE SEX, just not turned on by him. He's a nice man, hard-working, and everybody's friend. I'm just not that in to him...so hate to say...I love him, but I'm no longer IN LOVE with him. We have two high school children, but I'm not sure they can "make me stay".

I finally approached him about the issue because it was apparent he didn't care to have sex either. In fact, he said at one time that I should be glad he wasn't like other guys and always wanting it. Anyway, I approached the subject recently and he said, "Oh I want sex and I could have it 3 times a week, but you turned me down too many times, so I quit asking." He said this started 10 years ago and for the past two, he was waiting for me to come to him. I didn't. Well, I asked him where he was getting it since he said he could do it 3x a week. He said he'd been masterbating all this time. I've never EVER accidently walked in on him masterbating...never seen any signs at all.

I find his explanation to be VERY hard to believe. I've talked to very close male friends and they all tell me the same thing, "He's either gay or getting it somewhere...no man will just masterbate for two years."

I have to add that I've often been told how attractive I am. I'm petite and keep myself in very good shape. My husband says I should stop trying so hard because I don't have anyone else I need to impress. He recently told me I need to just settle into our life and be comfortable...stop looking for excitement. I feel dead...feel like I'm just going through the motions and don't want to wake up someday having missed out on life. I feel unloved and I'm just not in to him at all anymore. I'm not a bad person...just want love and happiness. Since I brought up the subject of sex and the fact that I'm not in love with him, he's trying WAY too hard to be affectionate and it's just turning my stomach. Help!

Questions for those of you who might have insight, please!
    I think you should cut the poor guy loose so he can find a sexual relationship with somebody who will appreciate him.

I was involved in a "sexless" relationship for seven years. The first two were great, then the sex dropped off. After repeated rejections, I too, quit asking for sex. Why is it difficult for you to believe that he's telling the truth?
    I took matters into my own hands, so to speak, and my partner never had a clue, either.

It seems to me that you have your own agenda (getting the hell out), but you're trying to dump blame on him, ie; he must be cheating or gay.

Cut him loose, already.
    bronzebabe Posts: 333, Reputation: 62

Jun 13, 2009, 08:29 AM

I believe that he is about to be done with the marriage, and at this point, if you WANT to save the marriage, talk about counselling. If you are done, then get divorced. He probably IS having sex. But, since you aren't "in love" with him, that shouldn't bother you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 11:11 AM

I can believe the story, it is actually very very common with couples I do counseling with.

One side asks and asks and asks, and get turned down so many times, they stop asking.

And yes men can go for years and years and not have sex, some men do it without masterbating at all.
    One does not have to have sex.

For example, you have went for two years without it, so are you getting it somewhere else?
    DSM521 Posts: 114, Reputation: 23

Jun 13, 2009, 11:49 PM
    He's a nice man, hard-working, and everybody's friend
    Okay let me apologies if this sounds harsh or if I have any of what I am about to say wrong. But I have to say stop playing the victim here. Listen by what you are telling us you married a good man that works hard for you and your family. You are also saying that he is not the one that lost interest in you. He tried to have a romantic relationship with you but you would not work on it for what ever reason.

We have two high school children, but I'm not sure they can "make me stay".
    Your two high school aged children should not have to "make you stay", you should want to stay till your job is done raising them. After all they did not ask for this situation, they are innocent.

I've talked to very close male friends and they all tell me the same thing, "He's either gay or getting it somewhere...no man will just masterbate for two years."
    Why are you talking to male friends about the situation. If it bothers you that much talk to your husband, the one you took vows with. Those male friends are giving you bad advise any way. Your husband is most likely not getting it some were else and probably not gay. What a cop out.

I have to add that I've often been told how attractive I am. I'm petite and keep myself in very good shape
    Why do you have to add that you are very attractive. What does that have to do with anything. Its clear your husband thinks you attractive or he would not be asking you to make love to him for years on end.

I feel dead...feel like I'm just going through the motions and don't want to wake up someday having missed out on life
    If you feel dead why don't you try working on your marriage. What are you missing? Look at it this way what are you going to leave behind.

I feel unloved and I'm just not in to him at all anymore
    Okay I really don't understand this one. Why do you feel unloved, you're the one that turned him away. You are the one that is thinking of leaving the marriage. You are the one that has lost interest in your husband. You are the one that thinks they are missing out on something. And you are the one that feels unloved. Wow what a crock, if you feel unloved just try to imagine how your husband feels.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 01:55 AM
    I think that you've both got out of the habit, and taken each other for granted.

Clearly you both still feel sexual, but don't feel able to communicate about it, or meet each other's needs. A sort of emotional and sexual paralysis has taken over.

You say you just want love and happiness, but these things don't just fall out of the sky. You need to create them, and sometimes, (in fact often), it takes hard work to sustain them.

Neither of you have done that work and now you're faced with a shell of a marriage.

I suspect that there is no easy answer. Perhaps you would both benefit from marriage counselling, at least then you can decide if it's dead or if there is still an ember that might spark back to life.

You owe the marriage the attempt to do this, if nothing else.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Jun 14, 2009, 07:53 PM

I think you need to examine what is in your heart. If your heart tells you it's over then it's over. But I think a marriage of 18 years does deserve a chance at working. But both sides have to be willing to make the effort. You said yourself that you are not in love with him anymore so why stay miserable. Just decide that it's either over or find that old spark. 2 simple solutions. Fix it or leave. I really don't see any better advice here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sexless relationship [ 30 Answers ]

We have been together 6yrs... in the beginning, the sex was great and often... he told me, he was divorced---that he had always been highly sexed and his exwife never wanted it enough---he got married to her at 27 and their marriage lasted 4 yrs... we had sex ALL the time----I was satisfied and...

Nearly sexless marriage, not sure if I love him anymore [ 13 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for a little over a year (dating for 2 ½ before that). Our sex life is horrible. On average, we have sex once or twice a month. One reason for that is we both work full time and are pursuing graduate degrees. However, even with that said, 1-2 times a month is...

When is a sexless marriage OK? [ 15 Answers ]

Here's a link (When Sex Leaves the Marriage) to an interview with Denise A. Donnelly, associate professor of sociology at Georgia State University about her research on sexless marriages. A couple of excerpts: The reader comments are almost more interesting than the article. One...

Sexless marriage [ 2 Answers ]

Twenty years ago my H started having ED problems - gradually the sex dropped off completely. We're now in our fifties and have not had any intimacy for 20 years. My H will not address the problem and I feel I don't want to live this way any longer. I'm considering divorce. Any opinions? He...

Sexless [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for over 5 years and now we're both attending our third year in university. I usually sleep over at his apartment during the holidays. Neither of us wants to have sex, I guess we're both just plain lazyyy. :D I'm pretty sure we're not scared or...

View more questions Search