Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mulleto2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 03:13 AM
    Housebreaking my pup
    Please help!!

I have a mongrel puppy that I got from the cat and dog home. He is now 13 weeks old and I am having great difficulty house training him. The main problem is that I live in a flat 3 floors up so I obviously don't have a garden.

We have managed to stop the number 2's inside and every time we go out after a meal he will do a number 2. He to this day has never done a pee outside. He is paper trained and always goes to the paper, every time, but I just do not know how I'm going to make the transition between paper and outside. I can't figure out why he understands to poo outside but not pee.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong.

PLEASE HELP AS ALL ADVISE IS WELCOME!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 05:38 AM

Living in an apartment complex can be very very hard.
    A puppy doesn't have much bladder control and is lucky to make it to the paper sometimes to go.

You could try rigging up a bell system, teach the puppy to ring a bell on a string by your door when he needs to wee.
    Do this by making the bell ring every time he wees on the paper, he will then associate the noise with "toilet"
    Then move the bell to the door and ring it every time you take him out to go.
    Eventually he should catch on the bell means he needs to go outside.

I actually want to start doing this with one of mine as she just stands by the door quietly waiting to go out and sometimes we don't see her.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:40 AM
    What you need to do is read about housebreaking in my sticky. At 13 weeks, they can go longer than at 7 weeks. When you recognize he needs to go out, take him out. For now, you may need to gently carry him down the 3 floors. Once outside put him down and start walking. They can only walk and hold it so long. Once he urinates, lavish praise on him. Walk a little more so he doesn't catch onto urinating ends the walk.

Do the best you can at keeping him away from areas other dogs use. His shots may not protect him from parvo and other things yet.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:44 AM

I never paper trained. Immediately upon waking from sleep or nap, go right outside.

Within 10 min. of eating right outside and every 30 45 min outside.

Yes it is allot of going outside. Never had a problem with this method.

Very soon you will have a house trained dog.

My hubby thought I was nuts until we got a pup together and I proved to him how much easier and how fast potty training can be.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Living in an apartment complex can be very very hard.
    A puppy doesn't have much bladder control and is lucky to make it to the paper sometimes to go.

You could try rigging up a bell system, teach the puppy to ring a bell on a string by your door when he needs to wee.
    Do this by making the bell ring every time he wees on the paper, he will then associate the noise with "toilet"
    Then move the bell to the door and ring it every time you take him out to go.
    Eventually he should catch on the the bell means he needs to go outside.

I actually want to start doing this with one of mine as she just stands by the door quietly waiting to go out and sometimes we don't see her.
    That's the same reason we taught our puppy to ring a bell. It works great!
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    That's the exact same reason we taught our puppy to ring a bell. It works great!
    Did you have a fast result or did it take a while to teach yours?

Yes, poor little girl sits there so patiently, then when I see her I say "you want a wee wee" and she dances :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:06 AM

It didn't take her long at all! Surprisingly. We thought it would because she seemed so confused by it the first few times we rang it.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:10 AM
    It didn't take her long at all! Surprisingly. We thought it would because she seemed so confused by it the first few times we rang it.
    Thanks, handy to know for when I start training mine!
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:18 AM

Yeah. It seems you know quite a bit about dogs, Shaz. As long as you ring it every time you let her out (and I always threw in "go potty?" while I was ringing it) and let her out every time she rings it, it works great.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:29 AM
    yeah. It seems you know quite a bit about dogs, Shaz. As long as you ring it every time you let her out (and I always threw in "go potty?" while I was ringing it) and let her out every time she rings it, it works great.
    Thanks, I am far from an expert but I have been around dogs my whole life. My parents started showing and breeding when I was 3 years old (I am now 23)

Hard to describe my house but basically we spend most of out time in the living room and next to that is our kitchen and then the back door.
    I plan on putting the bell on the loungeroom side of the kitchen.
    I am hoping it doesn't confuse her too much having it away from the back door but that is where she usually stands to let me know it wee wee time.

This might sound trivial but do you put yours at nose or foot height?
    Sorry for all the questions, just very handy to know someone who has done it rather than just reading about it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:49 AM

Zoe's is at nose height. I suppose we did that because it was easier for us to reach it that way too.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Zoe's is at nose height. I suppose we did that because it was easier for us to reach it that way too.
    Thanks again, I'll try and pick up a bell tomorrow and let you know how I go!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Housebreaking a dachshund. [ 7 Answers ]

My dachshund is four months old, and I have been trying to housebreak her. She does ask to go outside, but not consistently. Are their any secret doxie tricks to the trade? If so, I would appreciate it if someone would let me in on them. :)

Housebreaking my shih tzu [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just got a shih tzu and I'm having a really hard time getting her to use the bathroom outside. We will take her outside and she will not go but when we come back in she will urinate on my carpets or make a bowel movement.its really becoming a problem I don't know what to do please help:(

Housebreaking my puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I need a few tips on how to train my puupy, do's and donts so if anyone can help please let me know I have a black lab

Housebreaking [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to litter train a Cockapoo puppy?

View more questions Search