Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommytozach Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 06:26 PM
    Separation time length?
    I live in Oklahoma and my husband plans on filing for divorce and I have been told that you have to be legally separated for 6 months before filing. Is this true? I do know however you have to be divorced 6 months to get remarried to another person.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:33 PM

I may be reading wrong but it does not seem so. It says you must have been living together for at least 6 months before the divorce but nothing about a limit on how long your separation must be.

Oklahoma Divorce Source: State Divorce Laws: Oklahoma
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:37 PM

I can find no law that states either of the things you say. One of you must be a resident of OK for at least 6 months before filing, but that is a jurisdictional issue, not a law of divorce.

Where did you read that you have to be divorced for 6 months before you can remarry?
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 07:08 PM

I just read through most of Title 43 and could not find anything about waiting periods before remarrying. I did find a few references on the web, but not on any site I consider "gospel"

OKLAHOMA STATUTES
    lorisam7879 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 08:25 PM
    I agree. From what I found OK does not have any separation rules before filing for divorce. They do require you be a legal resident in which you have to have lived in OK for 6 months prior to filing.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 07:01 AM

In general tems. Most states allow you to file for divorce anytime. But the actual process varies from state to state. Many have a 6 month separation period for the divorce to be in a final stage. I think this might be where your getting confused. The first part of filing usually involves separation and that way both parties can operate in an independent fashion as well as maintain certain obligations from the marriage.
    mommytozach Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 09:59 AM
    REMARRIAGE AFTER DIVORCE:

It shall be unlawful for either party to an action for divorce whose former husband or wife is living to marry in this state a person other than the divorced spouse within six (6) months from date of decree of divorce granted in this state. [Based on Oklahoma Statutes; Title 43, Section 123]
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 10:58 AM

Actually if you read the entire Title 43, Section 123 you will see it is actually a 30 day time from the date of the final discharge of the divorce

It shall be
    Unlawful for either party to such cause to marry any other person and
    Cohabit with such person in this state until the expiration of thirty
    (30) days from the date on which final judgment shall be rendered
    Pursuant to such appeal

Of course that same statue also makes it illegal for the other party just to live with another person during that time
    *** so obviously it is a law that is not enforced

(6) months from date of decree of
    Divorce granted in this state, or to cohabit with such other person in
    This state during said period if the marriage took place in another
    State; and if an appeal be commenced from said decree
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommytozach View Post
    REMARRIAGE AFTER DIVORCE:

It shall be unlawful for either party to an action for divorce whose former husband or wife is living to marry in this state a person other than the divorced spouse within six (6) months from date of decree of divorce granted in this state. [Based on Oklahoma Statutes; Title 43, Section 123]
    This is what I found also, but was unable to verify it in the actual Title 43. The language is ambiguous.

SIlly law anyway since you can just drive to Texas and get married the same day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Length of time for a right of way to exist [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lot that had a right of way from 40 years ago. It has never been used for anything. Can the city now come in and have rights, after 40 years?

Opiates length of time in system [ 4 Answers ]

How long will I test positive for opiates after I have been weened off by my doctor?

Length of time for a Medical Claim [ 3 Answers ]

My check was garnished by a law firm for a local hospital, I had no idea as I had called the hospital and they told me it had been written off. The dates of service were 1994 and 1998. Can you provide me with info?

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

View more questions Search