Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Oct 10, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Hard to swallow and bloated
    Hi everybody, hopefully someone can give me( I am 36 years old) some advice on my problem. Its been some time now this has been happening... and I iknow I should go to a doctor.. which I have. And got a referral for a "upper G.I." I will give you a example of this morning. After waking up this morning, I feel like something is stuck between... about the middle of the breast bone. So I had a small bowl of cereal and after I am done, I feel bloated, and if I try and make a burp come up, I could probably bring up the last little bit of cereal. Or if I was to have a glass of water or sometime during the day, minutes after I am done, I could force a small burp up by tightening my chest muscles and the liquid I just drank comes up with the air. And the burping thing... I cannot swallow air like when I was a kid and bring up a loud burp from the stomach. When I feel a burp coming on... I can feel the air getting squeezed through something tight in my stomach or lower throat, then a small burp comes through. Even if I drink a can of club soda or perrier water real fast... just a small squeezed out burp, with some of the liquid comes up.. the same with hiccups... I had one lower groin area hernia repaired about 5 years ago... (dont know if this helps) I also have a bowel movement about every 5 days... I am pretty healthy, I drink only once a week, and play all sports, work out... Any ideas would be appreciated... to make me a little more comfortable with living.. Thanks a lot!

Leeboy
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Oct 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
    You should wait to see what the upper G.I. test shows.
    With your symptoms, you could possibly have G.E.R.D. (gastroesophageal reflux disease), hiatal hernia (esophageal hernia), or gastric ulcer. Probably should have a bland diet until your Dr. has the results back.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
    31Pumpkin is correct.

Stay on a bland diet, eat softer foods, and wait till you see the GI doc.

Oct 10, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Thanks guys... what does a bland diet involve? Thanks!
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 11, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Leeboy.
    A bland diet usually means "if it tastes good, spit it out". Seriously, check this link -
    http://library.umsmed.edu/pe-db/pe-soft-diet.pdf. A bland diet may or may not help since we really don't know what you have - but it probably wouldn't hurt - in fact, it might even encourage you to see a doctor sooner so you can get back to eating things you like.

I, too, suspect you have a hiatal hernia or reflux. Possibly you have scarring where the esophagus meets the stomach which may cause a fixed narrowing (stricture) that prevents food and liquids from passing into the stomach. You could also be developing achalasia - a muscle abnormality of the esophagus that prevents normal emptying and can lead to a markedly dilated esophagus. Other, more serious, condition include cancer, scleroderma, etc... In other words - you're not going to avoid the doctor by looking online for an answer.

I do strongly encourage you to seek medical help since most of these conditions usually worsen with time - and the longer you wait, the longer you have already suffered and often the longer it will take longer for treatment to improve the symptoms.

Oct 11, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Ok... my next day off, which is tomorrow, I will go to a clinic. I used to be able to eat buffets and all you can eat deals at pubs and restaurants. Now a half a sandwich or 1/2 a beer I feel like I ate 50 chicken wings. Also, it does feel like my stomach is not emptying I guess due to the not very often going to the washroom. I don't get that crampy/moving feeling very often telling me I have to go (bowel movement)... almost like I have to guess. Im actually eating cereal now.. and after I chewed it all up and get ready to swallow... sometimes it takes 3 or four swallows. I t doesn't hurt, but pieces still stick inside my throat and I just have to keep swallowing. Another example of had to swallow, lets say if I went to drink a soda pop... every now and then after the first swallow, my throat closes up and it kind of hurts and 2 or 3 tries and everything relaxes and I can drink it. It doesn't feel like its going into the bottom of my stomch... it feels like its staying high up somehow... Any other ideas would be awesome... but I wll be seeing the doctor ASAP ! Thanks! P.S. Are the symptoms you guys told me about, aret hey fixable?
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Oct 11, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Leeboy,

A plumber can't tell you what's wrong with your plumbing until he looks at your commode - likewise, all we can do here is guess. Most everything has a cure or a treatment - some better than others - but throwing out a lot of guesses as to what you may have and how you might fix it only confuses the issue. When you get a diagnosis from your doctor - let us know and then we can look at treatment options.

I used to be able to eat buffets and all you can eat deals at pubs and restaurants.
    BTW, are you overweight? Many of the conditions so far described are only made worse by obesity.

Oct 11, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Thanks guys, I don't think I am overweight... Im 5,7" 200lbs Usually carry about 17% body fat . I work as a painter so I am always moving... I work out at the gym, play hockey, softball, drive 2 stock cars.. im very active. Ill add another thing... When ever I do manage to release gas or air, or have a bowl movement,( normally without trying) I feel very relieved and that I am getting better.. Its starting to be physicological and effect my life, cause alt of times I'm thinking about the pressure( bloating) or food stuck half way down in my middle of my chest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

I can't swallow.. HELP [ 8 Answers ]

Yep... basically I have real trouble swallowing and it makes me panic.it can happen at anytime and really scares me.I can be so hungry or thirsty but simply cannot get it down... any suggestions to what is causing this as it really affects my day to day... any info would be greatly...

Bloated and burping [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, As of a few weeks I have been feeling extremely bloated and have been burping a lot. I think I may have acid reflux, but I am also feeling nauseous and don't have much of an appetite. I went off the pill for a month and during that time I didn't get my period. I had my period before that and...

Is this really that hard to do [ 4 Answers ]

I have a girlfriend and she has a child that is not mine we have talked about marriage and having a child.The question I have is I love her child he has a father but not a "Dad" do men in my situation think about when they have their own child that they might play "favorites" with their own flesh...

Trying to hard? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a male trying to find a female. I would like to find someone to love and have a familly with. My friends stay stop looking and it will come. I stop looking for 3 weeks then I start looking again because nothing is happening. I can't even seem to meet women never mind find 1 worth...

View more questions Search