Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Louise Richards Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Feeding 2 year old mimiature daschund
    I live in South Africa and have a 2year old miniature daschund. I would dearly love to get her off tinned wet food. She was a very picky eater but I have now managed to give her some wet food in the morning and pellets at night which she now eats with relish, Can I try and wean her off the wet food as I find it expensive? Also how much should she have per day. Thanks Louise
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 09:13 AM

There is no reason why your small dog cannot eat a good quality dry food for both feedings. The amount she should eat would be on the package. For taste though you could mix a small amount of the canned in with your dry. However, be careful, these little dashunds gain weight at an alarming rate if not kept at a good ratio of physical acitivty and feeding. Their little long bodies cannot carry much weight, and being long, hip displaysia could develop.

Tick
    Louise Richards Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Thank you so much I do keep an eye on her weight and keep her active with a good walk every day. Thanks again Louise
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 05:29 AM

Hi Louise, my dogs also do not like dry dog food, they only eat wet.
    I have only just managed to get them to eat a small handful of dry for breakfast.

This will sound mean but if your dog does not eat the dry for breakfast then do not offer an alternative, she will eventually learn that the only thing she gets of a morning is the dry food.

Another way to encourage eating dry is to mix a handful in with the wet food, at first they try to pick out the wet but eventually some just eat the whole lot.

Yet another alternative is to soak the dry and get her used to the taste.
    I mix about 1 cup of dry to about 1/2 cup of hot water and soak for half an hour.
    This makes the food very soft and they are more liekly to eat it, each meal soak the dry for less amount of time and this will gradually make it less soft until you no longer need to soak it.

Dry/hard food is very important in a dogs diet as it helps to keep their teeth clean.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:41 AM
    See my sticky.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman View Post
    See my sticky.
    You might want to provide a link as a lot of new users do not know what "stickies" are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pros/Cons of Breast feeding vs. Formula feeding. [ 9 Answers ]

I have heard that if you don't breast feed your baby will have an unhealthy immune system (although I am pretty healthy, and was bottle fed), and I have also heard horror sotries about breast feeding. What are good vs. bad of breast feeding/bottle feeding?:D:D

My 1 year old MALE daschund is peeing EVERYWHERE! [ 1 Answers ]

We just rescued him (unagi) from a shelter yesterday and he has peed in every possible place. We live in an apartment so we can't install a doggy door and when we do take him outside he pees and poops but he will also come inside to do the same thing. I don't know what to do?

1.5 year old mini daschund still urinates in cage. [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I have had my mini daschund Jax since he was eight months old. Meeting his needs was so hard but I thought we finally mastered it. Well he has finally stopped pottying in our house but still during the night he constantly urinates in his cage and I take him out whenever he whines. I...

Year old min. Daschund peeing in crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a year old miniature daschund who recently (within the last two weeks) began peeing in her crate during the day. We are gone from 730 until 4:30. It seems to be becoming a habit. I am wondering if she will grow out of it or if there is something I can do to re-teach her not to go in her...

5 year old daschund has lost use of rear legs [ 2 Answers ]

We took him to the vet, they say he has a slipped disc and want to do a $2500 operation. Is there any other alternative? Thanks Ron & Harley

View more questions Search