Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Oct 10, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Songs for Funeral
    My cousin/best friend's fiancé died this past weekend in an accident involving dirt bikes (motorized)! They have a three week old son together. She is (obviously) very devistated as are we all! We are trying to help her out as much as possible!

My question is... she asked my help in picking some songs for the funeral. This will be a Catholic funeral. One song that I have proposed to her is "Broken Road" by Rascal Flats. Can anyone help me out with some other songs? Her fiancé is not real big on country music and was more of a pop/rock type of person.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 10, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Go Rest High (on that Mountain) by Vince Gill-I know it's a country song, but it is so beautiful. I played it at my mother's funeral.

How about In the Arms of the Angels by (sarah Mc... can't spell her last name at all, I hope you know what I'm talking about-this song was also in the movie "City of Angels".)
    cspeeks Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Also you could look at further along (christian song done with a great cover done by brad paisley) or even brad paisleys when I get where I'm going... funny both of them that popped in my head were brad paisley though... and the vince gill go rest high is one of my all time favorites
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Bridge over troubled water by Simon and Garfunkle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 04:25 PM
    I will only add, from my personal view point, it should be any song they like, even if it was a Dr Hook song,

But if the service is going to be a Catholic Service in the church, the Priest will have some control over what can or can't be allowed, They have some "set" rules on these things.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
    You'll Never Walk Alone - Jerry and the Pacemakers.

Beautiful song.

But I agree with Father Chuck. It really should be up to them Just his favourite song. Doesn't necessarily have to be a tear jerker!

It's a shame though that Priest can determine what songs can and can't be played. Provided they don't have swearing and offensive language does it matter??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 06:55 PM
    For Catholic services, often the songs have to be approved by the church before it can be used.

But I have very strict rules that there can be no sad songs at my funeral, I want it to be happy and up beat, I want the preacher to do a salvation message and hope people are all celebrating my life, not morning my death
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2006, 10:03 PM
    I like a song called "The Touch Of The Masters Hand" it is about a violin but it applies to people also.
    txviolet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SINGLE4
    My cousin/best friend's fiance died this past weekend in an accident involving dirt bikes (motorized)! They have a three week old son together. She is (obviously) very devistated as are we all! We are trying to help her out as much as possible!

My question is... she asked my help in picking some songs for the funeral. This will be a Catholic funeral. One song that I have proposed to her is "Broken Road" by Rascal Flats. Can anyone help me out with some other songs? Her fiance is not real big on country music and was more of a pop/rock type of person.

My husband died April 28, 2006 and I let my 3 children choose the songs that they thought he would have liked. Now believe me, I got the looks and the stares, but when the songs came on, my kids nestled up next to me and knew he was there smiling. I also did not make any funeral choices, which may help her if she will let others make choices for her. Tell her to take her time remember him and there time together than choices in suits, color of flowers, and caskets. Let Other family be involved. Don't fight over this. Just hand this stuff over!! No reason to argue over something that will be over in less than days.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
    I like the Catholic music by the artists under Oregon Catholic Press... and for funerals, here are a couple I love:

I Am The Resurrection
    Return to Me
    At the Name of Jesus

... and lots more good suggestions here:
    http://www.ocp.org/files/EFuneralSuggestions.pdf (look for ones by Bob Hurd; he is great).
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 24, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Some day we'll be together by Diana Ross and the Supremes
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Oct 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Thank you everyone for the song suggestions!

The reason that she asked my help with the songs for the funeral was because I would hang out with them quite often and knew what artist/songs he liked! I gave her a list of "ideas" and she picked from there! She also picked a song that I did not have on there which was "their" song!

Thanks again for the help everyone!
    ez4u2sa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 03:42 PM
    My cousin/best friend's fiance died this past weekend in an accident involving dirt bikes (motorized)! They have a three week old son together. She is (obviously) very devistated as are we all! We are trying to help her out as much as possible!

My question is... she asked my help in picking some songs for the funeral. This will be a Catholic funeral. One song that I have proposed to her is "Broken Road" by Rascal Flats. Can anyone help me out with some other songs? Her fiance is not real big on country music and was more of a pop/rock type of person.

Wind beneath my wing
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 04:36 PM
    The Old Rugged Cross

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross
    The emblem of suffering and shame
    How I love that old cross where the dearest and best
    For a world of lost sinners was slain

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross
    Till my trophies at last I lay down
    I will cling to the old rugged cross
    And exchange it some day for a crown

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world
    Has a wondrous attraction for me
    For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
    To bear it to dark Calvary

Then He'll call me some day to my home far away
    Where His glory forever I'll share

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Not country music but I love this song but do not know exactly what the name is. It may be "There's a land across the River" or " When they ring those Golden Bells for You and Me"
    katie15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 10:55 PM
    i think the best song for a funeral is ..
    Josh Groban - You Raise Me Up
    or
    Josh Groban - to where you are
    they are amazing Josh Groban is an amazing singer and i love him dearly (hope this helps you)
    p.s i'm sorry for your lost
    brw15 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2007, 07:11 PM

I am a Pastor and some songs are Abide with Me, Amazing Grace, Be Still, My Soul, God will take care of you, How Great Thou Art I hope this helps .
    May God be with you and bless you all
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 04:33 PM
    You got to listen to this all the way through...
    This is the most beautiful and moving 'religious' song I ever heard
    YouTube - Sandi Patty and Wayne Watson

I love Amazing Grace done with bagpipes too.

Also if you are having a big unconventional type funeral
    You might try having a big screen with all the songs down loaded with a slide show of memories.
    mehx Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Nov 16, 2007, 04:37 PM

Well for my sisters we choOse a classic funeral song x

Puff Daddy Ft. Faith Evans I'll be missing you

also we had

2Pac Ft. Elton John - Ghetto Gospel x

also

Westlife Queen of my heart x

I hope this helps x

sorry about your loss x
    dandries Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Check out thebestsongs.net Best Funeral Songs - Find the best songs appropriate for any type of funeral on The Best Songs.net

They have several pages with songs for every type of funeral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When to take children to a funeral? [ 2 Answers ]

At what age do you feel its appropriate to take a child to a funeral of a distant relative whom they've only met a couple of times?

Help name 70 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everybody! Can you identify this songs? Or can you give me advice where I could ask? I recorded this tunes in 1971-1978. Clip 01 is from 1971, 02-08 from 1975, 09-11 from 1977-1978 Link to bad quality sound clips - http://www.sendspace.com/file/n6pa8s Any help you have would be...

Deductions on funeral [ 4 Answers ]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to sound money concerned. My father passed away, I paid for the majority of his funeral expences, is there any deductions for paying for a funeral. I have never heard of it, but just wondering.

View more questions Search