Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    porge Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Venting bathroom 1910 house diagonal studs
    I have a 1910 house and am converting a pantry to a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink only). The walls are 12 feet tall and are sitting on 8" X 8" timbers as foundation. Some walls have diagonal studs along with the vertical and make it's impossible for me to direct a 2" pipe through them, up to the attic and through the roof. I -can't -directly vent straight up from the fixtures but I can do down into the crawl space and then if I there is a wall without the diagonal obstruction run it back up and through to the roof. Toilet and sink will connect to 3 inch drain to septic tank.
    1. How much can I stretch the critical distance from toilet to vent. I have read that it's 6'

2. Since I can't vent in the wall directly behind the sink - are there any problems that anyone has had with running the pipe in the crawl space to connect to the vent from the toilet?

Thank you.. any help is appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Why not simply connect the sink to the toilet branch and then vent the sink with a AAV,(see image) Good luck Tom
    Attached Images

Jun 12, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Tom, Thanks for responding so fast. The picture you provided is above the floor? Can that configuration be below the floor? In the crawl space? I have gone to a site to see AAV's which one would you recommend for a half bath like the one I've described?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 09:06 AM

"Diagonal Studs"? Never heard of such a construction. Do you mean fire-blocks, upper double plate or bottom plate ? Every house has those. You just drill hole through them...

Jun 12, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Milo, Yes, to the diagonal studs in an old old house... along with the uprights which are not always 16" apart.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 10:12 AM

So then you can drill through them. Buy a drill sized for the pipe you want to run through it and drill through the horizontal studs.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by porge View Post
    Tom, Thanks for responding so fast. The picture you provided is above the floor? Can that configuration be below the floor? In the crawl space? I have gone to a site to see AAV's which one would you recommend for a half bath like the one I've described?
    The trap for the lavatory's located under the floor? Why?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by porge View Post
    I have a 1910 house and am converting a pantry to a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink only). The walls are 12 feet tall and are sitting on 8" X 8" timbers as foundation. Some walls have diagonal studs along with the vertical and make it's impossible for me to direct a 2" pipe through them, up to the attic and through the roof.
    It sounds like your house is 'Balloon Framed'.

Are the diagonal studs mortised into the vertical studs?

If they are, you can chop out a chase for the vent if you cut off the diagonal piece in the stud bay and then 'sister' a new stud onto the side of the left and right studs within the bay.

Wall that are Balloon Framed tended to sway when stood up, so the cross bracing was put in to reduce the sway while the joist/floor system was installed.

If you're concerned that cutting into the diagonal braces might weaken the vertical strength of the wall, you can always sheet it with 1/2" OSB and sheer nail it to the studs before putting up your drywall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom venting [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a garage to masterbed/bath room. The new bathroom will have a garden tub, sperate shower, twin vanity and stool. Can I vent all this through a single roof vent.

Venting a bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

When installing a ceiling vent/fan in a bathroom, what would be required by code (NJ). Can it be flex vented into an attic towards a soffit or must it be out the wall or roof?

Venting a new Bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a full bathroom in my basement. The basement is not roughed in so I have to break up the floor slab first. My question is about drain/venting. I have attached my floor plan, I need to know where I should place my vent? Or vents? Can I place a single vent in...

Metal studs vs. Wood studs [ 2 Answers ]

Can metal studs be used in a basement setting where there is no water problem?

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

View more questions Search