Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JOHNMCGEE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
    What age can my boy decide to live with me
    My boy of 8 wants to live with me and my future wife. Can he have any say in a court to were he wants to live at a young age. Will the court grant him his wish or not. If not what age can he decide.
    ironclad04 Posts: 193, Reputation: 8

Jun 11, 2009, 08:45 PM
    I won't use details, but I myself was involved in a simuler incident, and I was 11 at the time, I was aloud to pick a parent to live with, though it was hard!! Hope it helped some?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 08:52 PM

He won't truly be deciding where he will live until he is 18. Ultimately it will be up to the judge until then. It all depends on where you live and the judge as to how much of a say he has in it. The judge is supposed to look at what's in the best interest of the child. If you and your ex agree to it, and your son wants to, I see no reason why a judge would deny it. You might have a tougher time if your ex doesn't want to let him live with you.
    TheOreeoShow Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2009, 08:59 PM

He should be able to decide when he is about to go to college but if he isn't going to college I would say a year after he gets out of high School I would kick them out when they hit 26
    notluckygirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Jun 12, 2009, 08:33 AM

I decide to live with my mom when I had 15 years the judge asked me if I want to live with mom or with dad
    I hope I helped you with something
    I want to ask you is your soon really want to live with and your wife and he will have a step mom I don't think so because I now how a kid will fell if he was separeted from his parents that is not really easy specialy if he was a teenager it will be so hard for him to take it in a young age .
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 08:45 AM
    I think it is a discretionary thing with a Judge, whether to consider a child's opinion on where he should live.

Other than being in the best interests of the child, consideration has to be given to the age and maturity of the child, the circumstances and all parties that will be involved in his upbringing. If there are compelling reasons for a child to be removed from his mother's home, and custody be given to the father, he may not see the necessity of asking the child in the first place.

If it is only that the child is wishing to move to his father's house, I doubt that would be enough.

I was about 9 when a social worker visited my mother's house, and each of us kids were asked where we wanted to live. Thinking back now, that was a better course of action to help figure out where the kids go, rather than have them face a formal situation in a court.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2009, 05:28 PM

Realize to that the one they do not live with can have court ordered visitations.
    If they do go live with mom make sure you ask for visitations. Often they will be every weekend or every other weekend, every other holiday, fathers day and a summer vacation.
    If mom is co operative you can work out something you both agree on and present it to the Judge to consider. Like maybe every weekend, every other holiday, fathers day, a month summer vacation or June and August.
    makeitwork12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 06:29 PM

They have the right to say were they want to go at the age of 14.My daughter just did it to me in Oct. make sure that it is the best thing to do because people are going to get hurt
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2009, 06:37 PM

Haha. I think they have the right to say where they want to go at any age. It's all a matter of if the adults take it into consideration when decisions are being made. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2009, 06:37 PM

First the child can not ever "decide" they may tell the judge what they want, but each parent is still allowed to present evidence as to why this should or should not happen.

If one parent has a history of some issue, that will or could stop the judge from allowing custody change.

Most ( and this is only a @) but look at around 12 that they will start asking the child, ( if a parent asks for it) but some judges will slightly younger, some older

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can A Minor decide where they want to live? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a Minor decide were they want to live at home or with grandparents just because they don't want to follow rules at home? Can the grandparents take legal custody away from the parent? My daughter is 15 years old and we live in New York.:)

Can a child decide where to live just because? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 15 yr. and 13 yr. old boys. Father has told them they can go to court and live with him full time when older son turns 16. We currantly share 50/50 custody. They sleep on a couch at dad's and do not have their own room. They live in a 2 bedroom condo with 7 people. My son's have their...

Age a child can decide where to live [ 25 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age a child has a say to whom they live with. I was divorced in Massachusettes.

Age at which you can decide who you want to live with. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to go to kent schools to further my education instaed of stow and I will have to partly live with my dad to do so, which I have no problem with. I want to know how old you have to be to decide which parent you want to live with.

Can a 16yr old decide who he/she wants to live with? [ 6 Answers ]

Can a 16 yr old decide where he or she wants to liv? I live with my mom but I want to move with my dad we used to live in Texas but she moved in with her boyfriend to North Carolina and I want to move back with my father what should I do?

View more questions Search