Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margaret174 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Credit card companies/collection companies attaching our incomes/accounts.
    I am 72, on Social Security plus a moderate City Retirement pension (local government, Washington state). My husband is 57, disabled, on Social Security Disability and has a small pension from the San Diego Zoo. If we are unable to pay one or more credit cards, can those CC companies, or collection companies, attach our Social Secuity or our pensions?

Also, if the credit cards are not attached to our bank where our funds go direct deposit, can those unsecured debt or collection companies attach our bank account?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 05:31 PM

Check this thread to see if anything fits your situation.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/credit...me-319415.html

We have financial and legal experts on this site who will eventually see your question and offer advice.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 12:17 PM

Your Social Security is protected but in most cases your pension is not and can be garnished.

The debt holder will need to go to court to obtain a judgement against you in order to lien property/accounts or get a garnishment order. Once they have the judgment, they will go after your account. If your social security goes into that account, they will take it. Unfortunately, although SSI is protected, once it enters a bank account it becomes comingled funds. Best open a separate account specifically for social security.

However, if you work with the credit card company, they will often be able to keep things from going that far.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2009, 12:27 PM

As Steve indicated, once your SSI is deposited, it becomes fair game. You may be able to avoid attachment by only depositing the exempt income into an account and then informing your bank that only exempt income is being deposited. You don't have to do this until a judgement becomes imminent since they can't attach the account without one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card companies [ 1 Answers ]

What credit card companies use equifax only

Can the credit card companies do anything to me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am married and 56. I do not work. I have 2 credit cards in my name only that I can not pay as my husband has been unemployed for 1 1/2 yrs. He receives a military pension and right now has unemployment but I have no oncome. We own a home together that we are paying on and it has approx...

Credit Repair companies or Credit Counseling companies [ 1 Answers ]

My question is... Can either of these help? I am considering using a company like Consumer Credit Counseling which claims to contact your accounts and arrange lower interest and lower payments and then lump all of your debt into one monthly payment. The lower payment would be very helpful at...

View more questions Search