Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ratree Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Foreign earned income and New York state tax
    I would like to know if my 2007 bonus should be considered as New York source income or not or should it be all foreign earned income.

1. I worked in NYC from 1/2007-5/2007, then moved to work in UK since then.
    2. My 2007 bonus was paid in 2008 and was on 2008 W-2, and some NY state tax was withheld. I worked in UK for the whole 2008.
    3. Should any part of my 2007 bonus be considered as New York Source income? My bonus has nothing to do with my work in NY (in 07) and it wasn't announced until Nov 07, when I already resided in UK.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 08:48 AM
    In my opinion, the bonus is NOT NY or NYC-related and therefore should not be considered NY or NYC-sourced. This being the case, it should not be subject to either NY state or NY city income taxes.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 04:55 AM

If the bonus partly related to services performed in NY, then the bonus would be partly taxable in NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Earned Income [ 7 Answers ]

I am currently working in Germany. I am a US citizen, but my wife is a German national. She is not a registered alien, but she does posses a ITIN for tax purposes. We are filing a joint tax return. Because she does not work for a U. S. entity she does not pay U.S. taxes and therefore does not...

Foreign earned income [ 3 Answers ]

This is a question for US 2008 return. I worked in the US for the first half of 2007 and then went to work in the UK for the rest of 2007. My 2007 bonus was paid in 2008. I also worked in the UK for the entire 2008. Would it be possible to consider my whole 2007 bonus as foreign earned income? Or...

Foreign earned income [ 3 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions, my husband is a resident of Georgia, he works for a contractor in California, where he has an apartment, he deploys overseas where he works for at least three months at a time. He worked overseas last year for a total of about eight months. His income is being taxed...

State Taxes on Foreign Earned Income [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live and work in the Caribbean. We are US citizens and maintain a permanent home in Georgia (where we lived prior to moving to the Caribbean). Our federal tax return allows an income and expenses exemption, up to a specified amount. Apparently, Georgia doesn't allow this...

View more questions Search