Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsu0272n Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Should I join the military after college?
    Okay so here's the break down I'm 21 I'm almost finished with my bachelor's degree and I'm still looking for direction own my career choice. I have not completed any prior military training, but it is to my understanding that within as little as 13 weeks of training I could become a second lt. because I have no experience I assume I will get a lower base pay but I'm thinking it's somewhere around 2555 a month that's not including everything else that come along. So basically I am looking for some input on how to go about this and which branch I should choose. So if anyone has experience please respond.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 12:45 PM

Jsu, I can only say that I know of two young chaps who joined the Canadian military and received basic training, and a spectacular education along with it. One went back into the Canadian military and is living in Ottawa; transferred to training in Navy Seals and is still with them and enjoying postings all over the world. The other learned IT and is now a computer technician in civilian life. So, phone them, see what they offer and go from there.

I don't know what the US military offer.

Tick
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 13, 2009, 11:10 PM
    My own experience:

I entered the military as a Private, E-1 in the US Army and was promoted up to the grade of SGT/E-5 before accepting a commission as a 2LT following college graduation. Being a commissioned officer is easily the best leadership training you'll ever get. There is NO civilian job that gives the kind of responsibility you will get as a 22 year old. You'll be in charge of 30+ soldiers. You will be responsible for where they sleep, what they eat, what they wear and what they do 24/7 when deployed. That's an incredible maturing process for anyone who does it.

ABSOLUTELY pursue it.

However... be sure you're willing to do it... and give yourself fully to it. You'll think, during OCS, that you're in the "hard part" - but you're not. The hard part comes later. The hard part comes when you're giving an order to an E-7 who may be as old as one of your parents... or when you call the parents of a young soldier under your watch who has died or been severely injured. I know... I've been there.

If you decide to make it a career - great. It's a good job, but it has some bad aspects... like moving all the time. If you do it and choose to later get out (as I did), you'll be a solid candidate for civilian management roles... as many employers recognize the wonderful maturity and leadership skills former junior military officers have.

Good luck.
    jsu0272n Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2009, 08:20 AM

Thank you very much that's the kind of info encouragement I needed!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 08:32 AM

Hello j:

This isn't a decision that someone can make for you. Joining the military or NOT isn't like deciding to go to this movie or that. Given that we're at war, you could get KILLED in the military. People who go in usually don't do it to enhance their civilian career. They do it because they feel an obligation to their country...

And, then there's those who do it to get laid... Ok, not everybody is egalitarian. If you can avoid getting killed, and you can put up with military BS, those guys have an awful lot of fun toys to play with. Driving an aircraft carrier, or piloting an F-22 has got to be the most fun you can have with your clothes on...

Yes, I served. I was only an enlisted man, and would have given my eyeteeth to become an officer.. I mean, they're the managers, and the rest are the grunts.

Plus, the military will educate you, and take you around the world. In my view, it's the greatest adventure a young man can do, assuming again, that you keep from getting killed.

In terms of that, I found the Navy to be the safest place... No matter how ugly the battle was, we at least got to eat hot food and sleep in our own beds at night... No dirty foxholes for sailors... Course, when the ship is going down, there ain't no where to run...

excon
    teenschools Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 05:08 AM

Yes, it is a great idea to join a military academy after the college education. The armed force centers provide a range a recreational programs as well as military type training programs for their trainees. Teens military schools have various physical fitness programs to make the trainees fit. These academies have expert physical fitness trainers and instructors. To get more detailed information please visit the informative site.
    Berry95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 05:29 PM
    I think you should, I have no experience because I'm only 16 and seriously thinking about it. I know I can't pay for college, so I might join the R.O.T.C program to get the education I need, it means free college and free traveling, because the military involves travel and education, of course. I'm not exactly sure what the fitness requirements are, but I'm sure the military will make you strong if you aren't already, it's a job that not only requires education and physical strength, but also heart, a lot of heart. You will be doing what you do, putting your life on the line for your country. One more thing, if your only in it for money, travel, or civilian career, when you are in the military you will start feeling the pride of protecting your country.
    ~~~Good luck, and best wishes to you! *I'm still thinking about doing this as well*
    rkm1163 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
    I am getting my masters in Criminal Justice. After college if I was to enter the US Military What would I enter as in the rankings.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2011, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rkm1163 View Post
    I am getting my masters in Criminal Justice. After college if I was to enter the US Military What would I enter as in the rankings.
    Hello r:

At your level, I don't think there are any absolutes. It could be a matter of negotiation. My guess is you could arrange for a set of captains bars. That would be a lieutenant in the navy.

excon
    mizzsuperunique Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
    I'm 17 year old female I be starting college next summer . I am going to college to become a mortician . I want to join the military after but is it a good idea to do so?
    cex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
    Yes you can, love the earlier post, you should go to OCS(Officer Candidate School) after you get your degree. You get better pay/higher rank. Assuming you are going to lead.I am 25 and trying to get my degree in zoology in 1-2 years after I tranfer to university next year. Though the job prospect for bs in zoology doesn't look good(as a backup plan, yea) I already wanted to join the military after my degree if possible.
    Strength89 Posts: 72, Reputation: 24

Jan 25, 2013, 12:19 AM
    Joining the U.S. Armed Services is YOUR decision and YOURS alone. Asking for insights on what the military is all about is great but asking others whether you should join or not is not so great. If you need to ask others whether you should serve your country then no, you shouldn't. Unless you can answer "yes" to your own question without a doubt then don't join.

For information on base pay for the U.S. military, go to 2013 Military Pay Chart | US Military Pay Chart. All other pay is dependent on whatever service you decide to join, where you're stationed and your current status in whatever categories.
    MyMarine4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Well it depends what your degree is in also. I know the Navy always seems to be more open for doctors and careers in medicine where as the Army and Air Force are always looking for people with computer intelligence skills. Especially the Air Force. Without knowing what you want to do, it's sort of hard to guide you in the right direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Want to join Military w/Felony & Probation [ 15 Answers ]

Hello. I am new to this website. Before I start my story I just want to say many of the people who are helping answer questions from posters like me that God bless your souls and your lucks in lives. I have few issues in my life that may get in the way of joining the military; something I wanted...

Can I join any branch of the military on proabtion? [ 7 Answers ]

I am on probation and I won't to make something of myself and become a helpful member of the community and I need to know if I can join the military while on proabtion I have searched everywere and I haven't found an answer please someone help me

Should I join military [ 12 Answers ]

I've been wondering if I should join the military. I love the military, there's only one thing stoping me. It's kind of lame, but I'm terrifed of needles. I have to get blood taken to join, I'm scared. I know I shouldn't let my fear stand in the way of my dreams, but it's standing right in the...

Can A Convicted Felon Join the Military [ 2 Answers ]

I have been convicted of a grandtheft and have been to prison and done my time can I be in the military now or not. I'm on no prohbation or parole.

Military or college [ 4 Answers ]

So my whole life up to now (im a senior) I've had college pushed down my throat, I do want to go and I'm waiting for accecptence letters as we speak. But Latly a lot of my male friends have been going off to iraq. The more I think about it the more I want to go, Maybe not marines maybe airforce or...

View more questions Search