Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
    What would you do in this situation?
    Our garage door buckled last week and would not go down. The opener worked. We pulled the door off the track and could still operate the opener. The door itself had a metal "track" (that's what I called it) that was bent on the back side.

So I call our home warranty company Monday to ask them about finding out if this part was covered because there were several parts listed, (not the door itself) but all the hinges and springs and whatnot. So they were going to send someone out to find out if this part was covered. I asked the girl on the phone when we would pay our deductible and she said when a contractor comes out to fix the door. So given that information, I thought that they would send someone out to see if the part is covered and from there we would either have it fixed or find out it wasn't covered and fix it ourselves.

So Tuesday a guy from an electric company (yes I thought that was strange too) comes out trying to figure out what the problem was with the opener. I explained to him, just like I explained to the girl on the phone that it's not a problem with the opener and I showed him the piece that I was referring to that was bent, not part of the "track assembly" which is what they claim I said. I wouldn't have even known to call it that, which is how I know I didn't say that. I asked the girl on the phone if she could let me her the conversation. She said no, but that she could send it to me electronically, which she didn't. Anyway, the part that was bent was not under warranty. I told the guy that's all I wanted to know. He continued to mess with the garage door opener until it overheated. I explained that when I called the warranty company they told me they would send someone out to find out if it was covered or not and I asked him what the verdict is. He said he didn't know anything about the door or anything, that electrical is his trade so he wasn't sure what the problem was.

When he finally gets ready to leave he mentions that we're going to have to pay him. For what? At this point I am pissed, not just at him, but at the warranty company for sending someone out who doesn't know what he's doing but is "licensed" to fix garage doors. So now I am expected to pay this guy for coming out and jacking around for 2 hours when I explained to him over and over again that I only wanted to deal with this if it was under warranty. The girl on the phone said I didn't pay anyone until someone was contracted out to FIX the problem, not when they send someone out to determine if the problem was covered in the warranty.

Is this how everyone does business now? What the hell happened to customer service? Now I have to pay a guy that only wasted my time $100. Nothing is fixed and at this point we don't even know what to fix. Why would he even tell the warranty company that he could fix these things if he didn't know how?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 10:36 AM

Did u call warranty company and tell them that the man they sent wants payment and no work was done to correct problem?

The guy is trying to put some money in his pocket . Tell him to get money from warranty company.

This is not the way reputable people work.

If u need any help with fixing door, let us know and we will see what we can do.

Good luck

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 01:48 PM

I agree, you do not pay the workman directly when dealing with a home warranty. Did you pay him?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 05:43 PM

No we have not paid him. I was on the phone with the warranty company for about 2 hours today and got nowhere. This is just a bit ridiculous.

What looks like happened is that the person who mounted the track for the opener, instead of putting the track parallel with the floor, has it up at an angle so when the door goes down it buckles. It looks like it's doing that because the bracket that hold the door to the track doesn't quite reach the highest point of the track. Does that make sense? I can get some pictures on here later. I just don't know where my camera cord is right now. Thanks in advance for your help guys!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 06:41 PM

Record conversations you have including mention of the fact that you are recording. Write down what time you called, time spent on hold, the person's name and what the call was for. It seems nuts but customer service usually involves data entry on their end, by someone who is paid and trained as little as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Situation [ 7 Answers ]

SITUATION: Employed as an Asst. Manager but given specific hours to work each week. Never varries. Specified hours are 54 per week PLUS 42 hours on call to solve problems. When on call, I must be on the property (apartment provided) and must answer all emergency and routine calls at all hours of...

What should I do about this situation [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this? My boss is married and has a couple of kids. The other day he catches me with my back turned and pats me on the shoulder and another day he walks pass me and makes I contact and winks. Is he just being friendly or is it flirting? He sits in...

Ex boyfriend situation. [ 15 Answers ]

I was with my boyfriend for a year, and nothing was wrong we spent every moment we could together because we enjoyed eachothers company. Like every relationship we had our arguments but it was always over stupid meaningless things. He'd tell me he'd need his space, and id give it to him and we were...

What can I Do In My Situation? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay well I'm 15, turning 16 in July. And I have been living with my aunt for the past few months. I do not live with either my mother or my father. Me and my mom do not get along in no kind of means. She is an alcoholic and when she gets drunk she takes it ALL out on me, saying I am the reason of...

Bad situation [ 4 Answers ]

I have been married to my wife for 1 year, we have been together for 13 years. We have had nothing but problems since we got married. She used to handle the money but she was not paying the bills on time, so I took over the bills. She was very childish with the debit card so I took it away and told...

View more questions Search