Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Sliding Doors and Glass
    You know how a car window has safety glass that when it breaks, it shatters into hundred of little pieces so no piece is large enough to puncture too deeply?

Do sliding glass doors have this? Can they? How can I tell?

Issue: children and rough play. 2 sliding glass doors in main house area.
    Concern: headfirst tackle through plate glass.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 09:01 AM

Doors and windows near the ground have been required by law (1977) to have tempered glass for quite some time. Closely inspect all four corners of the pane. Most tempered glass has a label etched into the glass spelling out what you have, hard to see so look closely.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post

Issue: children and rough play. 2 sliding glass doors in main house area.
    Concern: headfirst tackle through plate glass.
    It isn't the same type of glass, stevert. It is double pained, vacuum inside and I guess you will have to tell whoever, not to roughhouse in the house, take it outside where it should be.

Jun 11, 2009, 09:04 AM

Some sliders are thermopane while many are not. Most tempered glass will have that etched label.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 09:07 AM

Good Tip ballengerb1.

It says:

Tempered
    16 CFR 1201-CII
    ANSIZ07.1-1984

Jun 11, 2009, 09:09 AM

Great, you have tempered glass but a good head butt can still break it. It will not break into shards of cutting glass, millions of small pieces and hopefully only a little skin abrasion. Oh those boys.

PS I love your closing line. I too have a great dad as a teacher and electrician. Most of us only know what we have seen, read and heard from others.

Jun 11, 2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks Steve, I was editing my post when you gave me that greenie so go back and read my last line. Loved the old man.
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Thanks Steve, I was editing my post when you gave me that greenie so go back and read my last line. Loved the old man.
    I aspire to be a step ahead of my dad. If I come in 3 steps behind, I've still won.
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 31, 2009, 02:58 PM

You definitely have tempered glass, which is EXACTLY the same thing found in automobile door glass, just a different shape and possibly two instead of one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain entering from under sliding glass doors [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 3 story town house directly facing the ocean. Whenever there is a strong rainstorm, with a wind off the ocean I experience lots of water bubbling up from under the sliding glass doors on the third floor facing the ocean. I've tried both sealant and sandbags. - Nothing seems to work....

Sliding glass doors [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced the old rollers with new rollers on a older sliding glass door. I had to take the frame apart (both sides and bottom) so I could get to the rollers. I had a really hard time putting the sides back on because the rubber gasket would not stay in place. Is there a trick to...

Sliding shower doors [ 1 Answers ]

I Need Step By Step Directions On Installing Sliding Shower Doors, I Think One Is Stationary.someone Took All The Frame Down And Now I Need To Put It Back Together, I'm Not Quite Sure How?

Sliding Barn Doors [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to build a double door for a barn that slides on channel. The will each be 6' wide and 12' tall. Any thing I need to know?

Old sliding glass doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I have a four panel sliding glass door from the 60’s The outside panels are fixed with the middle panels sliding. The doors are single glass. The frame channels are wide. Is there a way to replace the single glass with a thermal pane glass? Is this cost effective. I do...

View more questions Search