Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boatbuilder Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Adding size
    Can I add size to my muscle( arms and chest mainly) while cutting and on a strict diet
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 01:32 AM

Yes, if you pay very strict attention to your diet. A lot of bodybuillders use a technique called Cyclical ketogenic diet to increase muscle and lose fat at the same time.

The basic idea is that for six days out of seven, you eat a very low carb diet at below maintenance calories while lifting hard. Compound lifts like squats, deads, bench press, military press, pull-ups etc are best. Then on the seventh day when you have thrashed very muscle group and feel like a slug with hair, you switch things round and eat a high carb, low fat diet at above maintenance calories. This produces an anabolic flood of insulin which helps to channel the protein and carbs into your muscles so you get bigger and stronger muscles, while still eating at an overall calorie deficit.

It does work, but only if you do it right. No cheat meals.
    Rookeek Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jun 11, 2009, 03:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    Yes, if you pay very strict attention to your diet. A lot of bodybuillders use a technique called Cyclical ketogenic diet to increase muscle and lose fat at the same time.

The basic idea is that for six days out of seven, you eat a very low carb diet at below maintenance calories while lifting hard. Compound lifts like squats, deads, bench press, military press, pull-ups etc are best. Then on the seventh day when you have thrashed very muscle group and feel like a slug with hair, you switch things round and eat a high carb, low fat diet at above maintenance calories. This produces an anabolic flood of insulin which helps to channel the protein and carbs into your muscles so you get bigger and stronger muscles, while still eating at an overall calorie deficit.

It does work, but only if you do it right. No cheat meals.
    Muscles need to be fed more calories that your maintenance level constantly to be growing, not one day per week. I doubt this works. Simple:

To grow muscle you eat more then your BMR.
    To loose weight you eat less then your BMR.

Now doing both at the same time looks impossible according to these.. Or possible only in commercials... Plus you talk mostly about low carb diet which means that muscle will be using proteins to get energy from not to grow.. This diet is best for fat loss and minimizing losses of muscle, not to gain muscle...
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 07:57 AM

Please do some research. On a low carb diet, fat is used for energy, not protein. On the refeed days, it is possible to increase muscle size. It's not the most effective way to do this, a straightforward high carb bulk is, but it's a good compromise between losing fat and gaining muscle.

Jun 11, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Please do some research. On a low carb diet, fat is used for energy, not protein. On the refeed days, it is possible to increase muscle size. It's not the most effective way to do this, a straightforward high carb bulk is, but it's a good compromise between losing fat and gaining muscle.
    I did, read article by Lyle McDonald here:
    Carbing Up on the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

Skimmed through it and it doesn't mention gaining muscle.. just keeping them or keeping losses to a minimum. If this was true then you wouldn't need to be constantly eating above the maintenance level to gain muscle. You could just slack off and have one day of like 6000 cals and then gain something.. and that's not going to happen. This diet is good for those pre-contest bodybuilders but not for ones who are gaining muscle. Muscles need nutrients constantly to grow not once a week...
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 11:33 AM

Go to some of the bodybuilding forums and you'll find a lot of people who do use CKD to gain muscle while losing fat. My niece is a champion power lifter and she uses it to keep in her weight class.

Jun 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Go to some of the bodybuilding forums and you'll find a lot of people who do use CKD to gain muscle while losing fat. My neice is a champion power lifter and she uses it to keep in her weight class.
    Trust me I am on bodybuilding forums. This denies the logic of how muscle grow, I am a skinny guy and if this was true that one day was enough to gain muscle then I'd be big big already..
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 08:01 AM

If you are a skinny guy, then why are you on a cutting diet?

Jun 12, 2009, 08:13 AM
    If you are a skinny guy, then why are you on a cutting diet?
    Who said I'm on cutting diet, I know what is bulking/cutting because it's popular between people. I am all for clean bulking though. Plus it's really basic information to know that you need to eat more then your BMR constantly, not once per week...
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 11:26 AM

You did.

The question you asked was "Can I add size to my muscle while cuting and on a strict diet"?

If you are a hard gainer, by all means, eat brown rice till it comes out your ears.

Jun 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
    You did.

The question you asked was "Can I add size to my muscle while cuting and on a strict diet"?

If you are a hard gainer, by all means, eat brown rice till it comes out your ears.
    No I didn't and you CAN'T add muscle on cutting diet, that's why it's cutting because it's designed to loose weight while keeping as much muscle as possible...

I like rice, even though I don't care if it's brown or not.
    ironclad04 Posts: 193, Reputation: 8

Jun 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookeek View Post
    No I didn't and you CAN'T add muscle on cutting diet, that's why it's cutting because it's designed to loose weight while keeping as much muscle as possible...

I like rice, even though I don't care if it's brown or not.
    These are good ideas on what you can do! There's really no limitations?? Reserch just gos based on someone's physie already! I think anyway?? All I do is eat over the recommended daily calorie intact, but in portions of small meals, body needs fuel, no fuel no building muscle!? But with this you can burn as much calories at the same time, while working the areas you want and cut muscle at the same time?? Just my opinon?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size & conduit size for 60 am subpanel 150 from source [ 9 Answers ]

Indiana question: I want to install a 60amp subpanel 150 feet from the main panel. This is all exposed runs both inside and out in a commercial envirenement. What gauge and type of copper wire and what size conduit whould I use. How often should insert a junction box in the run. John

Adding stage lighting and amps to sound system. Wire size questions [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. We are installing a new stage lighting system and some additional amplifiers to our sound system. The sound and lighting techs have asked for ten 40 amp circuits. I personally think this is too many circuits for what they are installing, but they want room for future expansion. If I am...

Adding 3 toilets to 2nd story - ? Pipe size, slope, vertical section, vent. [ 5 Answers ]

I am in Costa Rica and have a concrete block garage with 2nd story above. I want to add 3 toilets, 3 showers and 3 sinks. The sinks and showers are on a separate grey water system. These rooms are sort of like a motel room for my guests. I am planning on raising the floor under the toilet...

Queen size frame-full size mattress [ 2 Answers ]

I have a full size mattress set and want to know if it can be used with a queen size bed frame? I heard there was a kit that can be used to make it fit.

Full size headboard, Queen size bed Frame [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy attachments that will allow me to fasten my full size headboard to my queen size bedframe? I am having a bit of trouble finding one.

View more questions Search