Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    audrie1984 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Is shalmac corporation a legit company?
    I recently got hired on at shalmac corporation llc on craigslist. They were suppose to send me a check for some software I was suppose to set up to do the work. It has been 2 weeks but no check. I Yahoo a mark powell everyday, but he keeps giving me the run around. Is this a internet scam?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Did you sent them any money ?

Did they have you fill out paper work like a job application or tax forms

Jun 11, 2009, 08:56 AM

No money and he said that I will be getting my tax stuff in the mail and the company's attorney would be contacting me for tax purposes he sid they use w-2 I just could not find anything on this company

Jun 11, 2009, 01:45 PM

They said that I was suppose to be getting some money for a utility package to cover internet, phone,etc.. Expenses, but then I was suppose to take the rest of the money and mail it to the shipper. Why could they not do that and just send me my money?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jun 11, 2009, 01:51 PM

In all likelihood, this sounds like a scam. They are probably sending you a bad check or forged money order. If you deposit it and then send money to "the shipper," and then the check or money order bounces, the bank will hold you responsible for the money still. So any money you sent to "the shipper," you're pretty much crap out of luck on.

It may end up being legitimate... but it definitely looks like a scam to me.
    pitsbaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 07:36 AM

This company sent my sister a check, but no bank would touch it. When she IM them back and told them of this, they said oh OK, we made a mistake on that check anyway. They wanted her to set up a checking acct, and a savings acct. in my opinion if they want someone to work for them out of state, the company can set all up for them, at no charge. I work for an atty. And we could not find anything about this company at all. They offer no phone number, just a email and IM address.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jun 12, 2009, 09:14 AM

If you do an internet search for Shalmac, Shalmac LLC or Shalmac Corp. you get nothing. Looks very odd to me.
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Jun 30, 2009, 02:28 PM

I'm with Jim--if they're not documented, they're not trustworthy. Couldn't find a thing about them online.
    smercurio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Did anyone acctually work for Shalmac. I was trying to find out if this a real company. They just hired me.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jul 21, 2009, 10:26 PM

I even tried some of the online yellow pages sites and can't find anything. How did they hire you and where did you find out about them? Very curious that they are invisible on the Internet. What state did they say they are in, that might help find something. Sounds like an Internet scam to me so far and I wouldn't be surprised if they want upfront money.

The original poster stated they got the name from Craigslist. You can go to that site and do a search for Shalmac under "jobs" if you know the city and state, or country, etc.

Craigslist has a section where you can report irregularities, the original poster says they were supposed to get a check, if they didn't now is the time to report it.
    smercurio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 06:39 AM
    They did post a job on Craigslist. I was hired after an interview via IM on Yahoo. They are giving me an address in Las Vegas NV. I was asked to open a bank account at Bank Of America so they could transfer funds to purchase a software. This doesn't sound legit at all.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 07:00 AM
    No it doesn't. Run away from this one.

Jul 22, 2009, 10:40 AM

Shalmac is a scam. They sent me a fake check and are being investigated. They say they are from las Vegas. Do not give any info to this company they are a scam. They advertise on all free sites in every city.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 11:03 AM

In general there are a lot of scams on Criags list, I even fell for one myself a few months ago on a home inspection, they 'hired" me, sent me I9, tax withholding documents, applications and so on, guess what, they wanted my Identity.

If they are going to send you a check and you don't send them any other money, that is the question, have you paid them anything ?
    Do you have a physcial address, and phone numbers for them
    kbdavis07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by audrie1984 View Post
    i recently got hired on at shalmac corporation llc on craigslist. they were supose to send me a check for some software i was supose to set up to do the work. it has been 2 weeks but no check. i yahoo a mark powell everyday, but he keeps giving me the run around. is this a internet scam?

Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:11p.m

I am currently doing an interview with shalmacdesk his name is Mark Powell and he give me this url for their company website

Atlantic Projects Company, Inc. Website Under Construction

When I have asked him repeatedly for Shalmac Inc Contact information he would not give it to me or give me a reason why he could not.

I have also given him the link to this form and asked him to post his side of the story here.

I also told him that he has 2 days to provide me with Shalmac Inc Contact information before I report him to the BBB and the FTC.

I will see if he provides that information and will keep all of you updated on that.

I have told him about my past experience with so called "Work at Home" jobs that are fake,spams,scams, etc. I told him I do not have time for fake work.

Waiting to see if he provides the information or not.

Also lets see if he posts here.
    acbrennfoerder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 10:23 AM
    I was constently talking to Mark Powell about this so called "job". I wouldn't give him my account information or anything. I told him the only way it would work is if he sent me the money for the software via western union (because it's faster :) ) OR by purchasing the software there and having it shipped to me. Constant run around. SCAM!! Just block him. Why can't people quit scamming innocent people.
    depo18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 10:06 AM
    So if you have already gone through the "interview" and provided minimal information, what do you do to protect yourself? I realized after the IM interview, and the ease of hiring that it was a scam, but he already had the contact info from my resume. What now??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find out if a company is legit? [ 12 Answers ]

I recently thought about starting my own business! However; trusting in a company overseas is abit difficult.. they have a trail order which I can order a few items.. So, that seemed OK.. but, the shipping charges are included into the price and they want the money first but , then they send the...

Is Total Unique Financial Inc. A legit company [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if total unique financial inc is a legit company. Has anybody actually gotten any loans from this place any complaints. Can they be trusted to give them personal information.

How Do I find out if this company is legit? [ 3 Answers ]

I had recently gone online to apply for a loan to pay off my vehicle and some bills I asked for $7,000 and got approved with the bad credit that I have. I have to question this... because every time I call this guy he is very unprofssional and he says the name of the company is Epic Financial...

Is this company legit [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if this business opportunity is legit, is this company legit. ITP (International Trading Place) Address: ispahan road Killorglin Co. kerry Ireland Website:usitp.co.uk/ Phone#866-644-7820

View more questions Search