Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Jun 10, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Ex-Husband and Adoption
    My ex-husband is an idiot, but that is another post. So he and my oldest who is 15 were arguing on the phone because she cannot make time to go for visitation this summer. This was all her doing, and had nothing to do with me, although he doesn't believe that. Anyway, after they argued he said that he was adopting a baby. She got upset because he doesn't see her but once a year and calls maybe 3 times a year, and when he says he is coming to get her, he doesn't it. I told her not to worry because an adoption would probably never go through for him, but I am curious if I am way off base in saying that.

He has 2 DUIs in that last 5 years, still cannot drive.
    He owes 15,000 and some change in back child support.
    He is unemployed, and has a history of spotty employment.
    Had a failed suicide attempt that landed him in the crazy house when he was early 20's late teens.

Now for the sake of all that is holy, surely the court would not honor that nitwit with a third child to take care of... right?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2009, 02:22 PM

Is he married? If it isn't then that seals it. Its highly unlikely a court would approve an adoption.

Jun 10, 2009, 02:24 PM

Oh, yes he is married. She has a brain tumor and has been on medications (to keep it from growing) most of her life. From what I understand it is the medication that made her sterile.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 05:19 PM

They they may be able to adopt, private adoption for sure since there is little background check unless the child's bio parent requires it.

Suicide way to old to have any bearing what so ever as long as he has no history of current issues, they may ask for a evaluation.
    There will be income guidelines to meet in some adoptions and home inspectoins.

As for the 15,000 in past due child support, "why" when have you called child support enforcement on him, when was the last time you took him back to court for

Jun 10, 2009, 06:03 PM

To be honest, I have never taken him to court. I don't really want anything from him, I have even asked him to sign off his rights to the girls. I have called the enforcement agency, when I don't get any child support for awhile. They won't do anything until he hasn't paid for 30 consecutive days. When they did "offer" to help, they say they will take his diver's license, fishing and hunting license or seize property/assets. He doesn't have a driver's/fishing/hunting license, he doesn't own a vehicle. He and his wife are always trading one in for a different one. I have seen at least 7 different vehicles in the last few years. I know it is to keep anyone from "catching" up to him. He doesn't have a bank account or anything at all in his name. I am in Illinois and he is in Michigan and that in itself creates a huge barrier at times. It took me three years to even get child support because no one wanted to help with an interstate case.

I did recently find out that they have a house that is marital asset. I found out about two months ago, when his wife's father died he left they house to her. Since he died four years ago and they have been married for 10 there is no doubt it is a marital asset, but it may not be in her name either. It may actually be in her sister's name, which would pose another set of issues.

Really, the money is not enough to go to war over and ruin someone's life. I would rather him just stay out of my girl's lives and get on with his own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my new husband adoption [ 12 Answers ]

Where do I stand on my new husband adopting my children. My ex husband never really see or pays for his children.

Adoption by my husband [ 5 Answers ]

How can my husband adopt my daughter? She does not have a father listed on her birth certificate. Her biological father has never been in her life and has never paid child support. Do I need to contact him to do the adoption?

Adoption by husband [ 1 Answers ]

I am marrying my boyfriend soon and after, We want him to adopt my daughter. I don't know who her biological father is because of certain circimstances. There is no fathers name on her birth certificate, only mine. What would I have to do?

Husband adoption [ 3 Answers ]

How does my husband begin the process to adopt my children.

Adoption of a soon to be husband [ 1 Answers ]

My soon to be husband has been there for my son since Ive separated and divorced my ex husband who is in and out of mine and my sons life constently. My ex is in somewhere in California and I have no direct way to contact him. My soon to be wants to adopt him after we get married. How does this...

View more questions Search