Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avus17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
    Wisdom teeth extraction
    My wisdom teeth in lower jaw are are still under gum and causing terrible headaches.
    My dentis told me that extraction of the wisdom teeth would damage my facial nerves for sure as to bad position of the teeths.

My questions are:

1. Can a wisdom tooth only partly be extracted, so one part at the rooth which is grown together with the facial nerve stays under the gum? This would perhaps solve the narrowness and sremove the pains.
    2. What about blockade of the facial nerv branch near the wisdom tooth? Can this remove my headaches and for how long?
    3. Are there some other alternatives?

Thank you for the answers in advance.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 03:57 AM

Hi Avus,

To answer your questions:

1. No wisdom teeth can not be partly extracted. That would just cause more problems for you.

2.I'm not sure what you mean by "blockade of facial nerve".

3. Have you been to a chiropractor, registered massage therapist or physiotherapist to be sure there isn't a skeletal or muscular reason for the headaches? Are the headaches worse in the morning when you wake up? Do you clench or grind your teeth? Are you under major stress at the moment? Do you sit at a computer all day when you work? Has the dentist checked your bite to be sure it isn't an occlusal (bite) problem? Have you tried a occlusal night guard? These are just some things you might want to rule out before you have the teeth removed and cause some permanent nerve damage.

Good luck.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jun 10, 2009, 07:03 AM

Dude its not the facial nerve, it's the inferior alveolar nerve (important but not as much as the facial nerve). How old are you, and why do you think the wisdom tooth is giving you headaches?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AGONY with wisdom teeth extraction-is it ever going to end? [ 4 Answers ]

Got 3 wisdom teeth out on march 29th. I have been to my oral surgeon 5 times since my first follow up a few days after my surgery because of increasing pain. The first time I went he said I was fine, even though I told him that I had been in complete pain, he sent be home with a syringe to irrigate...

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

Thursday I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled and it's been 3 days later and I'm still in pain. I'm on amoxicillan and 2 other pain relievers and still in pain. I don't have dry socket cause I do have clot in socket. Any suggestions or how long I will feel like this for? Thanks.

I think my wisdom teeth extraction caused my droopy lid, but not sure. [ 2 Answers ]

I got my wisdom teeth extracted at the end of July 2008 and the surgery went fantastic. No dry sockets, no real pain, everything was just perfect EXCEPT now I have a droppy left eye lid. Does anyone know if getting your teeth extracted can cause this? If it can, should I speak with the doctor...

Fever Following a Wisdom Tooth Extraction [ 5 Answers ]

I had a wisdom tooth extracted this Monday. Starting Tuesday, a fever started to develop. I was put on Amoxicillin after the surgery, so I was happy that I was taking it in case of any infection problems. The infection is now lingering today (Saturday morning). I have no real pain except for a...

Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Can I Use A Straw? [ 7 Answers ]

First thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and help me out. I feel bad calling my dentist to ask such a simple question he probably told me the answer to when I was still not all the way there. My two upper wisdom teeth were pulled 5 days ago in a simple extraction. Both had...

View more questions Search