Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starshine1 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Painting stucco fireplace wall.and accent bricks
    Hi -
    I'm hoping that someone can help me with a few questions I have about my
    Fireplace in my craftsman/bungalow.
    I want to paint over the existing color on the fireplace wall, which is stucco. (The other walls in the room I've already painted). I'm also not too keen on the color of the accent bricks (see photo). The bricks have a glossy,smooth feel to them as if they've been coated. The mortar in between is painted in spots, dirty in others, and also feels smooth. Not at all rough.
    I don't want to destroy the integrity of the style of my house if painting the bricks will do that. I'd at least like to clean up the mortar lines. What will work? And if I do paint the bricks, how do I prep them and what kind of paint would work?
    Thanks for your input!
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 10:55 AM

Use kilnz primer before painting wall.

The finish on tile is a fired on glaze. Would not recommend painting.

Remove grout with dermel type tool and regrout. Seal grout with grout sealer to help keep clean.

Good luck

Chuck
    starshine1 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Thanks for the info. I won't paint the glazed bricks.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 02:47 PM

Glad we could help. Need anything else let us know.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior Home Painting of Stucco [ 2 Answers ]

How do I prove that my new construction home stucco exterior surface was incorrectly painted? I have white effloescence showing in multiple places all over my home. It was painted approximately 1 year ago and it showed up about 3 months ago. Looking for any help.

Painting Exterior Stucco [ 3 Answers ]

What is the process of painting on Stucco walls? Is a primer required? What type of paint should I use? Rolling or spraying? What would be the min. temperature to apply the paint in?

Stucco wall [ 2 Answers ]

We are constructing a stucco fence around the house and I would like to know if it is better to use plywood with tar paper and chicken wire or can we use wonderboard underneath and will stucco attach well to wonderboard?

Painting wall with fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

My question is this. Someone suggested to me that the wall in my recroom should be painted a different colour than the rest of the room. Any suggestions on the colour. Should it be brighter, darker, lighter than the rest of the green on the recroom walls? Thanks Me

View more questions Search