Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeffClair1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month?
    Hi,

As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1.

My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the 3rd. Based on the law outside the city, can I pay her a prorated amount for July 1-3, or do I have to pay the entire month?

Also, If I am required to pay the entire month, am I allowed to remain on the property until the end of the month that I have paid in full for, or can they take the money for July and prevent me from accessing my room.

If anyone could answer, and also cite where I can show proof of the answers anywhere, I would be most grateful!

Thank you in advance for your help!
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jun 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Your landlord is correct.

Here is the statute:

§ 232-b. Notification to terminate monthly tenancy or tenancy from
    Month to month outside the city of New York. A monthly tenancy or
    Tenancy from month to month of any lands or buildings located outside of
    The city of New York may be terminated by the landlord or the tenant
    Upon his notifying the other at least one month before the expiration of
    The term of his election to terminate; provided, however, that no
    Notification shall be necessary to terminate a tenancy for a definite
    Term.

If they require you to pay for July, then can legally stay for the month of July.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2009, 11:27 AM

Just to clarify. If you were a month to month tenant based on a calendar month, then you are required to give 30 days notice prior to the end of a month. Since you did not give notice prior to 6/1 you can be held responsible for July.

So tell the landlord that your plans changed and you are giving notice now that you will be out by the end of July.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to Month Lease with rent increase [ 7 Answers ]

Hi... what is the law concerning month to month apartment rentals? I have been living at my place for over a year, and my lease expired June '08. Since I have been on a month to month. The past few months, I have been paying my rent late; but it's always been paid in full including the...

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Is it common to have a 2 month notice to vacate on a month to month lease? [ 2 Answers ]

Can my landlord require me to give a 2 months notice to vacate even though my lease is month to month? It was in the lease which was originally a 1 year lease which after the year, change to month to month. I can see giving 60 days with the year lease, but not on a month to month.

Tenant wants prorated rent for last month of lease [ 1 Answers ]

My tenants do not want to move out of the condo that they have been renting for 2 years. In November of this year, they experienced some loss of electricity in the kitchen. Everything works except the ceiling light. We did not repair it because of the expense. We had already decided not to renew...

Termination of month-to-month lease FLORIDA [ 2 Answers ]

I need to terminate a month-to-month lease in Florida. I know I have to provide a 30 written notice. My questions are as follows. Do I have to give the 30 day notice to the tenant prior to the beginning of the new month's term? Do I have to state the date the premises must be vacated by?...

View more questions Search