Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottmpi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 06:11 AM
    Calculation of Annual holding period return (gross)
    How do you calculate the expected Annual Holding Period Return (gross)
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jun 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
    The correct answer might turn on some omitted details, so I'll supply a couple of assumptions--you can correct as needed.

1. I'll assume the asset in question produces no interim cash flows. Ya buy it, and on the horizon date you sell it; nothing happens in the interim other than the asset's appreciation or depreciaton.

2. When you say "expected", it usually means you've got a range of possible outcomes (future selling prices for the asset), and for each outcome there is an associated probability.

If we're cool so far, then it's just [(E(F) / P) ^ (1/n)] - 1

where E(F) is your probability-weighted expected future value; P is the asset's present cost; and n is the number of periods (years, in this case) of your total holding period.

It might look familiar--the 'Annual Holding Period Return' is just the geometric mean of the overall change in the asset's value, with one period = one year.

Hope this helps!

...it was early and I was full of no coffee...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I calculate holding period return for bonds, common stock and mutual funds? [ 1 Answers ]

The first investment is a bond which was purchased on May 10, 2004, and the purchase price was $20,000 the bond was later sold on May 12, 2005, the sales proceeds were $19,500. Interest on the bond from May 10, 2004 to May 12, 2005, was $2,100. The second investment was Common stock which was...

Calculate realized percentage holding period return [ 3 Answers ]

Just need to know if I am on the right track. The question: An investor bought 100 shares of V. Corporation common stock 1 year ago for $40 per share. Sold the shares for $44 each, and during the year, received four quarterly dividend checks for $40 each. Expects the price of the Venus shares...

Annual rate of return calculation [ 3 Answers ]

Annual rate of return calculation

Annual return calculation [ 0 Answers ]

How do I link the annual return to get a 3 yr annual return in excel? For example 2006 - .7911 2005 - 10.6301 2004 - 12.8057 2003 - 1.7170

View more questions Search