Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tearoom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Made a loan for funeral expenses, now can't get repaid
    My brother passed away 2 months ago and his son didn't have enough money to pay for his funeral. My husband and I offered to loan him the money needed so they could go ahead with the service. We actually borrowed from a friend and then loaned him $1,600 and $600 was repaid the day of the funeral. The conditions of this loan were discussed with my nephew and his girlfriend in great detail - even telling them the money could be easily repayed with money my brother would be getting in the form of his state tax return, his SS burial expenses, and his final pro-rated disablity check. With these three checks, it would have been enough to clear his debt with us and have a couple of dollars left. His live-in girlfriend (mother of his son), collected money from her family the day of the service telling them it was to help repay us. Right before I left the funeral home, she told me she had already collected money and would deposit it and mail us a check the next day. When I called her a few weeks ago about this check, the story changed... she told me they had to use that money to 'live-on' NOW they are claiming we told them not to worry about the money, they didn't have to repay it and that it was really my responsibility, along with my other brother and my elderly mother to pay for his funeral! Although, 2 1/2 weeks ago my nephew texted my daughter and told her they had mailed us a check... we never received it, obviously it was never sent. Now they won't answer our calls, not even his grandmothers. They won't return our calls, and they say (through our daughter) they have no intentions of paying us back. Please help us... my husband is disabled from a massive heart attack last June and is unable to work. We have to repay the rest of this money we borrowed to help our nephew. His girlfriend is ruthless... I told her my husband was going to have to sell his truck and she just said 'so what'! She also says she is NOT involved in this and to leave her alone. I think my nephew is stuck in the middle but we don't care at this point... we're ready to take legal action. What can we do??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 07:02 PM

So you sue them in small claims court. Take what evidence you have, copies of the check where you paid them, any papers you may have had them sign,
    But even without it, you sue and try and collect your money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Funeral and burial expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away on October 2006. He was 77yo and on SSI, so I was left with the funeral and burial expenses. Are these expenses Tax Detuctible for my 2006 return? Thanks

A personal loan I made [ 19 Answers ]

A friend of mine asked me to lend $2500 to her, for her daughter who could not pay her Morguage for the month because her husband lost days at work. I took the cash out Of my savings a/c and as instructed, put it into my friends a/c at another bank. It has been over a year and all I got was...

Astrive Loan for Living Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

If you qualify for a G.I. Bill, can you still get an Astrive Student Loan? Can you apply for more than just the amount that will not be covered in the G.I. Bill? Can you use an Astrive loan to consolidate credit debt/other loans? If you are married with childern can you use the loan to pay for rent...

Can possessions be held until a loan is repaid? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband loaned my 26 year old son $500 to help him relocate for a better employment opportunity. My son now has a job earning $32/hr. and refuses to pay my husband. We are storing my sons stuff here for him. He is planning on coming from out of state to visit. Can I withhold his stuff or sell it...

Early Distribution from 401k/Loan not repaid [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for taking the time... live in NJ and worked in NJ... here is my question, I took a hardship withdrawal loan from my 401k... two years ago in early 2005. Approximately $4,000. I paid back about 1000k back to my own 401k. In Jan of 2006 I left the company and decided I was going get...

View more questions Search