Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hopeing to get a little more input on this one. Id give the answer now, but what fun is that.

Hint, my code states fixtures unit loading a little closer to Marks on this one. Remember(and I believe this to be a pretty universal thing) you can have two toilets , and many other fixtures as well,on a 3" horizontal line, and toilets are 3 fu each. Just something to pursuad your answers.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 07:32 AM
    All right, here's the answer given in my code(upc). B, 32 inches.

I personally like to hang it every 18 to 24 inces just strictly for appearance. But even then its tough to make this stuff look good when exposed. Don't get me wrong, I love the pex, but I try to use it mosty in concealed or covered areas, and still use copper in mechanical rooms etc, for the looks of it. Now, in crawl spaces, I've been known to go over the 32" code. Sometimes in a tight crawl space I just want to get that stuff up and get the hell out. Lol.
    What are you using to hang your PEX tubing?

Snails, plastic two hole pipe straps, suspension clamps, staples..
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 04:57 PM

I use plastic two hole straps for pex, as my code states you must use similar materials for hangers,(plastic for plastic pipe, copper for copper pipe, galv for galv pipe etc). The pic is the straps I use most often for pex. Do you have a better hanger in mind. I'm open to options.

Glad to see you here iamgrowler. Id love to see your take on some of these questions. I believe you teach this stuff, and I'm here to learn.

Now, back to it. Answer to #13 is B. (upc, table 7-3 and 7-5.

I will note that Marks fu loading is close to mine, but mine allows 8 fu for horizontal 2" !6fu for vertical 2".

On to the next...

#14. The required clearance in front of a 3 inch cleanout is_______

A. 6
    B. 12
    C. 18
    D. 24
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Number 14 is C... 18 inches (in my area).
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Glad to see you here iamgrowler. id love to see your take on some of these questions. I believe you teach this stuff, and im here to learn.

Now, back to it. Answer to #13 is B. (upc, table 7-3 and 7-5.

I will note that Marks fu loading is close to mine, but mine allows 8 fu for horizontal 2" !6fu for vertical 2".

On to the next...

#14. the required clearance in front of a 3 inch cleanout is_______

A. 6
    B. 12
    C. 18
    D. 24
    "C", of course.

The question as asked is kind of ambiguous, though.

The actual code reads: " . . .shall have a clearance of not less than 18" in front of the cleanout".

Which means, given the ambiguity of the question, that "D" would have also been a correct answer.

The question should have been: 'the minimum required clearance in front of a 3 inch cleanout is_______'.

I use plastic two hole straps for pex, as my code states you must use similar materials for hangers,(plastic for plastic pipe, copper for copper pipe, galv for galv pipe etc). The pic is the straps i use most often for pex. Do you have a better hanger in mind. im open to options.
    No, those are what I use as well.

BTW, which section of the code are you referencing when you say "similar materials for hangers"?

The only consideration vis a vis isolation that I'm aware of is that piping must be isolated from incompatible materials.

Then again, if you took the Code literally (section 314.5), you wouldn't be able to use the plastic two hole pipe straps for PEX, because the manufacturers state in their installation guides that the piping must be allowed to move freely to counteract expansion -- Plastic two hole pipe straps lock the pipe in and do not allow for movement.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2009, 06:47 AM
    #14. The required clearance in front of a 3 inch cleanout is (C) not less then 18 inches.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
    [QUOTE=iamgrowler

The only consideration vis a vis isolation that I'm aware of is that piping must be isolated from incompatible materials.

Okay, you got me. You are correct. Chapter 3 section 314.4 in upc 2006 edition states... piping shall be isolated from incompatible materials. I was trying to go off memory(not so good) instead of finding the facts. I don't know where I picked up the similar materials, someone must have snuck it into my subconciouse mind. Anyway, glad to hear you use the same hangers.

As far as the terminology of questions, I agree, some of these are kind of like trick questions. I didn't wright them, just studying them.

Growler, if you don't mind my asking,, what code do you fall under. And are you an instructor, inspector, or working plumber.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 01:49 PM

Yep, c it is.

#15. A refrigerator used to store food and that requires drainage shall be drained by means of________.

A. an indirect waste pipe
    B. a direct connection
    C. both A and B]
    D. no drain required
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Okay, you got me. You are correct. Chapter 3 section 314.4 in upc 2006 edition states... piping shall be isolated from incompatible materials. I was trying to go off memory(not so good) instead of finding the facts.
    No worries, we've huffed a lot of solvents and glues in our career.

I don't know where I picked up the similar materials, someone must have snuck it into my subconciouse mind. Anyway, glad to hear you use the same hangers.
    Well, hopefully this saves you some money in pipe hangers -- Copper clad two hole pipe straps cost a great deal more than plastic two hole pipe straps.

As far as the terminology of questions, I agree, some of these are kind of like trick questions. I didn't wright them, just studying them.
    Not that it matters, or that it's any of my business, but is this part of your required continuing education classes, or are you studying for your Journeyman's exam?

Growler, if you don't mind my asking,, what code do you fall under. And are you an instructor, inspector, or working plumber.
    I fall under the UPC, although for how much longer remains in doubt -- I'm thinking the 2009 revision of the UPC may very well be its last.

Let's face it -- The UPC is pretty much a Left Coast phenomenon and if it doesn't show more flexibility in the adoption of new standards, practices and acceptance of new materials and devices, then the Unions are going to push to have it abolished.

As for the other part of the question: I am a working Plumber, but I also teach a class in code compliance, focusing on newly adopted code revisions -- Not yet certified as a Continuing Education class, but I'm working on it.

Yep, c it is.

#15. A refrigerator used to store food and that requires drainage shall be drained by means of________.

A. an indirect waste pipe
    B. a direct connection
    C. both A and B]
    D. no drain required
    A.

With an approved air break of not less than 1".
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2009, 09:40 AM
    A refrigerator used to store food and that requires drainage shall be drained by means of (A) an indirect waste pipe.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Is this part of your required continuing education classes, or are you studying for your Journeyman's exam.[/QUOTE]

Just getting ready for the masters exam.

Anwer to #15 A.

#16. Sheet metal, constituting a part of any vent connector, shall be at least_______.

A. 0.0304 inches
    B. 0.0450 inches
    C. 0.0500 inches
    D. 0.0505 inches
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 06:38 AM
    #16. Sheet metal, constituting a part of any vent connector, shall be at least_______.

A. 0.0304 inches
    B. 0.0450 inches
    C. 0.0500 inches
    D. 0.0505 inches
    Sorry, I forgot we were doing this.

The correct answer is "A".

Keep 'em coming, MGD. :)
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 02:56 PM

I kind of dropped the ball, been busy lately.

Your correct, A it is.

#17. One material not approved for the installation of an external trap for a urinal is _________.

A. cast iron
    B. cast brass
    C. drawn-brass tubing traps
    D. ABS.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 03:23 PM
    In my area the answer is C... drawn-brass tubing traps. Urine has a tendency to just wreak havoc on any thin walled brass. Of course, in Massachusetts... we can't have external traps on any urinal... all must be integral traps.

Here, we can use cast iron or cast brass commercially and ABS and PVC for residential installations of urinals.

MARK
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 04:22 PM
    #17. One material not approved for the installation of an external trap for a urinal is _________.

A. cast iron
    B. cast brass
    C. drawn-brass tubing traps
    D. ABS.
    This is great -- Got to love it when the question is germane to recent events.

We installed an antique urinal in the condo of a Microsoft gazillionare a few weeks ago and spray-painted the external tubular plastic PVC p-trap with nickel spray paint to match the rest of the finishes in the bathroom -- Even taking the time to sand it in one direction to give it a brushed nickel finish.

When the Inspector saw this, he rapped on the trap to see what it was made of, then asked me why we didn't simply seek a variance to install a drawn brass p-trap in the correct finish.

Long story short -- The Customer/Designer specified drawn brass nickel plated bottle trap was in a vanity drawer not less than three feet away as the Inspector made his comment, and was installed less than 20 minutes after he signed it off.

Anyhow -- The correct answer is (C).
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 04:41 PM

Just goes to show that the code book is basically a guide book. The fact is, the inspector (or authority having jurisdiction) can OK anything he pleases. I think its awesome that he signed off on it. Not only did he make it his liability(instead of yours), but it made the customer happier with you for doing what they wanted.. That is what I call a win win situation for a plumber.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Not only did he make it his liability(instead of yours), but it made the customer happier with you for doing what they wanted.. That is what i call a win win situation for a plumber.
    'Kay -- I was right up there with you up until this point.

Inspectors are specifically indemnified from responsibility for their actions/responses.

I said he asked me *why* I didn't install the bottle trap -- He did not *give* me permission to install the non-code compliant bottle trap.

Huge difference.
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Oh, I misunderstood. Thought you were saying he signed off while knowing you were going to install the trap. Oh, well, custermer is still happy.
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 03:21 PM

Answer to #17 is C.

#18. Hub and spigot cast iron piping in 10 foot lengths, installed horizontally, shall be supported at intervals of not more than______ feet.

A. 5
    B. 10
    C. 12
    D. 15
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Jul 13, 2009, 06:15 PM

The answer is A. Not more than 5 ft

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest vs. Ordinary Interest [ 1 Answers ]

How would the formula for calculating time in days (given principal, interest, and rate) change if exact interest is used in contrast to ordinary interest?

How does a financial manager choose between stated interest and an effective interest [ 2 Answers ]

When a borrower is often confronted as a stated interest and an effective interest rate what is the difference and which one should the financial manager recognize as the true cost of borrowing? The effective interest rate is always calculated as if compounded annually. The effective rate is...

Pay it Down -- if the interest on the debt is LOWER than the interest on Savings [ 3 Answers ]

I have student loans in the amount of $20000. Through consolidation and never missing a payment I have the interest loan at 2.50% (simple interest). Montly payment is approx $100. I am getting an APY no a Savings account at 4.75%. I have savings around $5K and growing. I need cash for other...

View more questions Search