Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Any interest here?
    Just trying something new. I would like to start a page that is about plumbing code variences from area to area. All input is welcome. The way it will work: I will ask a question. Its multiple choice, a,b,c,d. then come back after awhile and give the answer stated in the answer sheet. The questions will be from a test quiz for journeyman and master applicants. Hope to hear some back and forth on this. And if you like it, let me know. If little to no response, I won't carry on with it.

Im starting from beginning of quiz sheet. One question a day, answer on the next day. I did not wright the questions, or the answers, I'm just passing them along. Take care.

#1... building sewers shall be tested by completely filling the sewer with water from the ______________.

A. lowest to highest point.
    B. lowest to at least a 5-foot head.
    C. lowest to at least a 10 foot head.
    D. lowest to at least ground level.

Good luck and please let me know what the codes are in your area, if they differ from the answer I give.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 07:01 PM

Ok, seeing a lack of interest. Just take a guess. And if anyone can tell me what foot head means, I would appreciate it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:51 PM

MGD, I think we only have 3-4 actual plumbers here and Tom's been retired for some time. Is more of a lack of plumbers than interest. I don't know much about code so I'm no help, sorry.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 03:56 AM
    The answer is C... ;)

Sorry MGD, been running so much I couldn't stop to answer your PM. I will chat with Tom and get back to you soon...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 9, 2009, 04:11 AM
    Lee;
    I passed your idea up to the super mods for a opinion. Still waiting to hear. I have no problem with this if it's OK upstairs. The answer to your question would be "C" lowest to 10 feet or over. Head pressure's measured in feet. One foot of liquid is equal to .434 PSI. Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 08:20 AM

MGD: as Tom said, "head" is counted from the highest point of sloping drain. It is applied in tests of new drain/vent installations. Gravity of 10' high water lever pushes on new joints and tests them for leaks.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 03:37 PM

Okay, here's the answer this quiz gives.

A. When I went through this, I also gave the answer C. This is a little confusing, because in a later question that is basically the same, the answer is indeed Ten foot head. The only reason I can think of that would make the answer A instead of C. is that even if you get a ten foot head pressure, there may still be joints above level of water. On to the next one, and thanks for the replies.

#2. except for plastic piping systems, hot and cold water piping may be tested with_______.

A. 40 psi air or 150 psi water for 10 minutes.
    B. 35 psi air for at least 15 minutes.
    C. 50 psi air or the working pressure of the water in the system for at least 15 minutes.
    D. 100 psi air for at least 10 minutes.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 06:06 AM
    Hey Lee...

Building sewer drain pipe is usually an underground pipe and underground typically gets tested separately from above ground piping... so test to 10 foot head should really be the correct answer.. in my opinion... ;)

The answer to the second question is D...except in my area we test to 125 P.S.I... :)

MARK
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 10, 2009, 06:20 AM
    The only reason I can think of that would make the answer A instead of C. is that even if you get a ten foot head pressure, there may still be joints above level of water. On to the next one
    Not the way it works down here. We fill out stacks from the roof,(no joints above that.). This gives us more then a 10 foot head but our code calls for at least a 10 foot head it doesn't say we can't use a larger head. We fill our stacks at quitting time let it set overnight and call the inspection for the next day.

#2. except for plastic piping systems, hot and cold water piping may be tested with_______.

A. 40 psi air or 150 psi water for 10 minutes.
    B. 35 psi air for at least 15 minutes.
    C. 50 psi air or the working pressure of the water in the system for at least 15 minutes.
    D. 100 psi air for at least 10 minutes.
    None of the above in my area! The night before when we fill the stacks for inspection we also pressure up the water pipe and let that set over night.
    Twice over the years I had to make solder connections under the slab to water pipes.
    Both times the inspector made me air pressure the pipes to 125 PSI and hold it over night.
    But hey! Like Bob pointed out I've been retired for twenty years. Times change. Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 03:21 PM

I completely agree with you guys. Many of these questions vary from my actuall code book.

The answer to this one is,, C. Seems a little low to me.

May be time to start looking for a new quiz.lol.

Okay, Im going to do two here.

#3. The required clearance in front of a two inch cleanout is __________.

A. 8"
    B. 12"
    C. 18"
    D. 24"

#4. A stack, as defined in the code, is ________.

A. the main vent
    B. any vertical vent
    C. the vertical main of soil, waste, or vent piping that extends one or more stories
    D. the horizontal main of soil, waste, or vent stack.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Hi again... ;)

Considering that so many water systems that we work on exceed 100 P.S.I. and need to be regulated down to 50-60 P.S.I... I am surprised by that answer... but as you've said before, "white bread or whole wheat"... ;)

This time I'll go with...

#3... B

#4... C

MARK
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2009, 05:14 AM
    #3. The required clearance in front of a two inch cleanout is __________.

A. 8"
    B. 12"
    C. 18"
    D. 24"

#4. A stack, as defined in the code, is ________.

A. the main vent
    B. any vertical vent
    C. the vertical main of soil, waste, or vent piping that extends one or more stories
    D. the horizontal main of soil, waste, or vent stack.
    #3. The required clearance in front of a two inch cleanout is 12 inches
    #4. A stack, as defined in the code, is . The vertical main of soil, waste, or vent piping that extends one or more stories.

Teacher! When do the report cards come out?
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 03:38 PM

I'm actually just the student on these. Studying up for my masters. All I want my report card to say in the end is PASS.

You guys nailed it. Answers.. #3.. b #4.. c.

Here we go..

#5. Under no circumstances may gas appliance pressure regulators be vented______.

A. to the atmosphere
    B. to the combustion chamber near the pilot
    C. to the gas utilization equipment flue or exhaust system
    D. using black iron pipe.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Jun 11, 2009, 07:36 PM
    Can I play?

If so my answer would be ----------- B

Good luck on the test .Mark

Here in city to do plumbing you need 10 yrs exp in trade. Before you can apply
    Written test is next.
    Then there is a line drawing of a multi story unit and you size and layout the complete dwv.

Then last you have to wipe a lead joint. Even though it is no longer used it can make or break the final outcome. Masters

I took the test 19 years ago so things may have changed since then.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2009, 05:11 AM
    We don't pipe for gas much in my area so I'll pass on this one but something caught my eye,
    Then last you have to wipe a lead joint. Even though it is no longer used it can make or break the final outcome. Masters
    Ya still got to wipe a joint? Over 60 years ago when I took took the test you had to wipe a lead joint. Back then we formed oour shower pans out of sheet lead and if the shower was a large one we had to join two sheets together by wiping them. The las time I formed a lead shower pan was in a Gulf Side Mansion out on Longboat Key in the 70's. A pricey island off Sarasota where even the cheap homes start at a million.
    I'm surprised that they still make you do that. Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 02:57 PM

For the journeyman license here, takes a five year apprenticeship, then jouneyman test is a closed book code test, doll house rough in with pvc, solder joint with 45 offsets by math. Then drawing in pipe sizes and correct connections on a three story house. At least that's what it was then.

Masters is an open book code test, with a portion of closed book. Use to have to do estimating, but that was eliminated two years ago. Sounds like there is a grease trap(or grease interceptor) drawing to vent and drain. No hands on for masters, or so I've been told. After acquiring my jouneymans, I need to have five more years in the trade before taking masters. (need to have masters to run own a plumbing business in my state). Im over due, could have taken it last fall, but my procrastination gets to me. So I'm looking at taking it this summer. Have to drive 500 miles to take the test. I was kind of hoping they would get the computer testing in acted by now, but its not looking promising. So for now, I will just study the code book, and all state amendments, repractice my offset math and hope for the best.

csavage1, yes any one is welcome to play. Codes will vary from area to area, so just answer as you see fit, and please let me know if your code varies. Im under upc,(I know Tom hates this, but I got to follow the rules, and actually my states amendments are much more forgiving, if not my city adopted codes).

The answer given on this quiz is C.

Ive seen some old furnaces that actually came from the factory with a regulator vent piped right up next to pilot.

Okay, vacation time, I'm going camping tonight with my girls, maybe even the next night(depends on them, lol). Ill be back sometime this weekend to continue the,, fun?? Have a great weekend guys.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Have a great time Lee. I still have my paddles, Tops and a few wiping cloths in the garage along with some of my fathers old plumbing tools including a white gasoline furnace and lead pot and a portable pipe vice plus stocks and dyes up to 2".
    Any body out there into antiques? Cheers, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks, we had a blast camping.

Now, uuuhhgg. Back to study.

#6. aboveground schedule 40 pvc and abs dwv plastic piping installed horizontally shall be supported at intervals of not ot exceed_________.

A. 4 feet
    B. 6 feet
    C. 10 feet
    D. 12 feet.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 03:53 PM

B - 6 feet apart
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
    5 foot intervals for cast Iron. 10 feet for plastic in my area. SPC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest vs. Ordinary Interest [ 1 Answers ]

How would the formula for calculating time in days (given principal, interest, and rate) change if exact interest is used in contrast to ordinary interest?

How does a financial manager choose between stated interest and an effective interest [ 2 Answers ]

When a borrower is often confronted as a stated interest and an effective interest rate what is the difference and which one should the financial manager recognize as the true cost of borrowing? The effective interest rate is always calculated as if compounded annually. The effective rate is...

Pay it Down -- if the interest on the debt is LOWER than the interest on Savings [ 3 Answers ]

I have student loans in the amount of $20000. Through consolidation and never missing a payment I have the interest loan at 2.50% (simple interest). Montly payment is approx $100. I am getting an APY no a Savings account at 4.75%. I have savings around $5K and growing. I need cash for other...

View more questions Search