Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delmyfran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Bank Levy
    My boyfriend received a bank levy from Chase Bank for a credit card debt. The bank account is under both names. Can they levy the joint account? We are not legally married.

Also, Can we stop the levy if we go to the court? If yes, which form form do I need to complete?

We are in California. Thanks for your help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2009, 03:51 PM

Yes, as long as he is listed as a joint owner they can attach all of it.

Its probably too late to go to court. Before they can attach his account, they need to get a judgement. So the bank has already gone to court and obtained a judgement. Your boyfriend probably didn't tell you that he had this judgement hanging over his head.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank levy [ 3 Answers ]

Forgive me if this topic is already posted, but I have a levy on my bank account and the attorney that placed the levy cannot give me any information about debt except where it's from. No dates no contracts, just how much and what arrangement they need. My question is can they place a levy on a...

Bank Levy [ 9 Answers ]

If I foreclose on my home, can the 1st mortgage company or the 2nd (home equity) try to recoup the money from my accounts through a bank levy? Or is that only used with past due taxes to IRS, overdue credit cards etc?? Thanks

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, My Bank Account was levied (Levy) Writ on Oct 1st.. from a Lawsuit filed in 2004... They got $780.00 and I have since filed to Quash... Can they continue to get more from that account?

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

Can a levy be place against your bank account if it is joint and the joint account holder is not your spouse. Is it true that adding a child or aanother third party to your account as a trust or co owner will stop the levy because creditors can not seize an account with a third party.

View more questions Search