Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddiana606 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 07:32 AM
    How to calm my dog down
    I have a 4 mth old lab and I'm trying to calm her down how do I calm her down
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2009, 10:33 AM

When she gets overly excited ignore her.

That is usually the best way to calm a dog down because they crave your attention and when they realise that acting hyper is not going to make you pet them they will eventually learn to calm down.

Unfortunately you did not pick the best breed if you wanted a calmer dog. Labs are known for being neurotic and hyper.
    turtlegirl16 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 10:53 AM

All labs are a little more hyper when they are puppies. I have a lab-retriever (whew) and he's 3, he hasn't calmed down a whole lot but there is a difference, anyway my piont is that its going to be very hard to train you dog, you just got to show her that what she's doing is not OK by saying no or tapping her nose firmly with your fingers or both works just as well together.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 8, 2009, 11:42 AM

Exercise! :)
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jun 10, 2009, 01:37 PM

You've already received some good advice here.

Ignore attention seeking bad behaviors such as jumping up.

Other then that your dog is an energetic breed and a puppy at that. The puppy needs plenty of exercise to help shed off that excess energy as well as things to keep her entertained and focused. Does your dog enjoy fetch? As a Labrador Retriever they generally are very good at retrieving. I've met very few labs that didn't adore fetching. This simple task may help keep your puppy focused and help her wind down without requiring you to do too much yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Calm My Dog Down? [ 6 Answers ]

I just got a kitten today and ever since we took her out of the cat carrier in the car my dog will not stop barking, whining, jumping and chasing at the kitten. She will not leave it alone at all! My kitten is TERRIFIED!! How do I get my dog to stop and just calm down?? :confused::confused:

How do I calm down my puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have an adorable 4 month old chihuahua x jack russell called meg. I love her but at night she never settles down. I've tried massages, exercise and yawning at her. I need some help ?

School is almost here and I need something to calm me down [ 8 Answers ]

I'm freaking so badly. :( This is my last year in middle school so I'm freaking about how when 8th grade is over I'm going to high school. Another reason is mostly because my classes are advance and are very hard and they'll be time consuming and I'm very slow at learing thingss so I'm afarid...

I need calm nerves! [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I'm going on a casting call tommarrow for a raymour & flannigan commercial but, I'm EXTREMELY nervous. PLEASE help me calm my nerves! I'm great with everything like knowing my lines, but once I get in front of everyone, I forget. HELP?

How to calm down my dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2yr old dog who is very hyper. Every time I let her out she squeaks, and runs down the stairs and on my way down the stairs she runs back up and jumps all over me till I let her out the door. She does this every time I let her out.

View more questions Search