Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertwest1685 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Is my fan relay bad on my central air conditioner
    At the vents no air is blowing. The outdoor unit runs but the evaporator coil freezes up. The blower motor is not working. I pulled the blower motor out and tested it and it runs. So the motor is good. How do I find out if my fan relay is bad? Is there something I can do with an electric meter to find out if the relay is bad? I have been an installer of heating and a/c units for 8 years and I am now trying to get some hands on with some service work.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Maybe, but check the tstat by bi-passing tie or jumper the red and green tstat wire together see if fan runs,, tie or jumper the red and white tstat wires, see if heat comes on and does the blower work,, same thing with red and yellow, does the fan come on with the a/c unit?
    If all the above works by bi-passing the tstat, well ,prob. The tstat
    Its possible that one speed of the blower motor is shot,also
    rofait Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Blower motor comes on for everything but the central air
    rofait Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Blower motor comes on for everything but the central air but is not pushing air out
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 21, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Take relay and with an ohmmeter check the Normally open terminals - do you get continuity?

Check the normally closed - what do you get

Use that little beeping function in the multimeter

Oh yea.

Disconnect wires before doing this and make sure to label them do you don't fubar putting them back on.

If relay good and/or not obvious is there a control board? Do you get 120 or 240 at the motor on a call for cooling? How about in fan mode? Thinking you said it works in functions except cooling

You can manually put the fan in 'on' at tsat and run the switch in 'cool' to cool off. Just don't run the in 'cool' with out the blower motor working or repairs add a 0 on to the final tab quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan relay in air conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

"Compressor & compressor fan are running but no air is coming from air handler on a Coleman air conditioner. No icing on compressor & air handler fan would not come on in the "on" mode. About 5 hours later I tried & the air handler fan Came on & operated as normal. Been working all day now....

Central air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The above {heat pump} unit will run outside but the blower will not kick in on the inside. What could be the cause

Central Air-Conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

I need help, when I turn on the central air, hot air blew out from the vents, and the outside a/c unit did not spin. A contractor came out and told us that the compressor is not working. We have a 35 years old Carrier central a/c, the contractor suggested that we should replace the whole central...

Central Air Conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My fan to the air conditioner outside doesn't come. There is air coming out of the vents in the house, but no cold. What should the thermoset be set on in order for the fan to come on outside?

Central air conditioner [ 3 Answers ]

The circuit breaker in the house was tripped for the air conditioner. I turned it back on and the fan to the outside unit is not turning on. How do you turn that back on?

View more questions Search