Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    egraziano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 10:25 AM
    Paying child support while unemployed in MA.
    I'm currently receiving unemployment checks from the state of Massachusetts, I've been unemployed for 7 months. These check are less than half of what I was making in my past job. I received 7 months salary when my position was eliminated at an investment company in Boston. This is currently my only source of income. For the past 7 months I've been paying my child support that was calculated in our divorce agreement. Can't I just reduce it in half now, or does need to be done with the court? If my ex-wife agrees, can this be done without going to court?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 10:36 AM

its in your best interest to go back to court. If you and your ex decide, OK, let's cut it in half and the court order is still for more, if she gets upset with you later she can sue for back support claiming that you weren't paying the agreed upon amount. And what the court will see is that their was a court order for X amount and you were only paying her part of that amount. Its better to not even take that risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I be paying child support for a child not mine in marrige? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be force to pay child support through marrige even if the child is not mine?

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

Unemployed getting taken back for more child support [ 3 Answers ]

I'm current unemployed and my ex wife is taking me back to court for more child support. I have not money and don't know where I can find attorney for free.

Unemployed dad & child support, never married to ex- [ 4 Answers ]

I am married with a man who has 3 daughters from his previous relationship. While there are many issues to ask about, I have a couple regarding child support: 1) If he and I are now married, can she legally come after any of my income or assets for child support? 2) Would my income be used...

View more questions Search