Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottscott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Mower runs hot and uses too much gas
    Toro mower gts5 60hp. Just had carb reconditioned. Mower now starts fine. It still runs too high and uses too much gas. Is there an adjustment I can make to slow the engine down a little and use less gas? It also made a "pop" when I turned it off.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 11:15 PM

The POP is unburnt fuel that's gets left in the muffler. When the engine is turned off ( coil spark not to plug ) The pistons keep working and un burnt gas goes through the cylinder and to the HOT muffler and explodes there instead of cylinder.

That can could be a sign also of the carb running to rich.

I don't have a digram of the carb but look for a stop throttle screw on the carb to limit the throttle form opening too much or its controlled by the linkage adjustments that was re worked when it was rebuilt and not set properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Onan riding mower - engine only runs on choke [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 16 hp sears (onan engine) riding mower - the carb has been rebuilt, the points changed, etc... it starts but only with full choke and then dies, if I try to release the choke it dies and will not start. Can anyone help out with this? What am I missing? Thanks

My lawn mower engine runs for only about 5 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower engine only runs about 5 seconds

Riding Mower B&S runs, but under load boggs down [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, Have a Murry 42" 18.0 Briggs & stratton engine. Now the engine does not like to start with a choke. When engaging the blades the engine boggs down then builds back up. When cutting any grass it runs 1/3 normal speed (engine). I checked for blocked air intake and changed fuel. In off,...

Rider mower runs Hot [ 1 Answers ]

My snapper 8horsepower rider mower runs hot and quits running why? Why does my snapper 8 horsepower rider mower run hot and stop running?

View more questions Search