Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LindaBomba Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 04:35 AM
    Tankless Water Heater
    Hello,

I have a 10 month old tankless water heater. Sometimes when I turn the hot water on from anywhere in the house, it makes a loud grinding noise for a few minutes and then stops. I don't think it should do this. Do you have any idea of what it might be?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Sometimes when I turn the hot water on from anywhere in the house, it makes a loud grinding noise for a few minutes and then stops.
    Is your tankless gas or electric? Does any air come out of the hot water faucet when this happens? Tom

Jun 7, 2009, 06:14 AM
    My tankless water heater is gas. There is no air coming out of the faucet.

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 12:52 PM
    This sound. Does it sound like metal grinding or is it more of a popping snapping sound? Let me know. Tom

Jun 7, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Its more like metal grinding. It isn't a popping sound.

Thanks.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 02:10 PM

This could be the draft inducer motor or wheel making noise. If unit is only ten months old, I would get installer back to look at it, it should be under warranty. Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

Just curious, other than this problem, have you been happy with the tankless? What brand is it? Any pros or cons you would like to mention.

Jun 7, 2009, 02:14 PM

Its is a Mobius T-M1. So far it has been good. My water bill the last few months keeps going up so will see. My neighbor has one too and her water bill was like $400 but they came and installed a new meter so it should help with the bill. Thanks for your help.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 02:21 PM

A small increase is water usage is normal for tankless water heaters, as it takes a period to heat the water, so you will run more water to get hot water at tap(unless recirp pump is installed on heater). Have you noticed a savings on gas?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 04:29 PM

You won't see too much changes in water bill. Your usage will be more-less the same. It is the gas bill that should be going down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heater [ 13 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? What are your thoughts on these tankles heaters? Are they really able to do the job of supplying all the hot water you need? I will have a large whirlpool tub, one shower, and the obvious other stuff. Washer, dishwasher, and sinks through out the house. Will they support...

Tankless Water Heater [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to install a GAS tankless water heater and I read that you need an area of 750 sq ft of combustable air for this unit I want to install. My question is; Does that mean that this has to be a wide open area because my basement is 1000 sq ft but it is framed out into 3 rooms. All rooms...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Tankless water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I looking at installing a tankless water heater it needs to handle a bathroom shower kitchen sink and the washer . It needs to be propane and no power at all and must at lest handle two items at one time . Does any one have a recommendation of a type :confused: Live in a state where wind gets...

Tankless water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what size tankless water heater I will need to connect to washing machine. This is the only appliance the tank will heat. Can I use a 2.5 gallon tankless? Thanks

View more questions Search