Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jun 6, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Women and Wars
    As we all know, up until recent years, political and military affairs were run entirely by men.
    Wars were decided on and fought by men. If the roles were reversed, do you think women leaders through the ages would have resorted to physical violence to solve disputes.

I know that when I see the fall out from wars, my first thought is "unacceptable." WAY TOO MANY lives have been lost. And for every life lost, many others are dramatically effected. It's like a mushroom cloud. One death changes the lives and spreads heartache to so many others.

Maybe it's the testosterone, the need for aggression, the same element used in combative sports such as football or hockey. I don't possess any of that " physical fight gene". But... maybe it's just me.

In general, I think if women were calling the shots, wars would not have been as plentiful as they have been. Some other method of resolution would be used. What do you think?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 11:19 AM

Some women are the unsung heroes in war. As a matter of fact, today is the anniversary of D-Day l944. Big celebration for Britain and Canada in France. Nursing was the big thing for us then. Without nurses in the field we would have lost a lot more then we did.

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    I think if women were calling the shots, wars would not have been as plentiful as they have been. Some other method of resolution would be used. What do you think?
    Hello c:

I think you're right.

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 6, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Errr what about Elizabeth 1st and Joan of Arc??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 12:01 PM

Hello ben:

The key word was "plentiful", not non existent. Certainly, there were exceptions..

Ex
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 12:02 PM

Would we fight? Na, we'd nag them to death. ;)

A lot can be resolved over a cup of tea and a knitting party. Knitting calms the savage beast.

Any of you boys knit?

Really though. Would women start wars? I think it would depend on the situation, what we're fighting for. Past wars, I'm not sure if we would have fought had a woman been in charge. It depends on the woman.

It would be interesting to find out. Maybe one day we'll see.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 12:14 PM

Back in the sixties there was a movement of women to refuse to have sex with any man who went to war. Now women are in the military too, and fighting right alongside the men. Is that progress? I don't know.

Jun 6, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Errr what about Elizabeth 1st and Joan of Arc ???
    So that would be 2. Compared to how many men?

Jun 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Some women are the unsung heroes in war. As a matter of fact, today is the anniversary of D-Day l944. Big celebration for Britian and Canada in France. Nursing was the big thing for us then. Without nurses in the field we would have lost a lot more then we did.

tick
    Definitely women have participated once the war has been declared. Notice that much more than not that the role was one of taking care of people, not killing them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mommy Wars? [ 35 Answers ]

Hello All. I was watching TV the other day and the show was about "Mommy Wars". Have you heard of this? Mom's think their way is the "right" way to parent their kids and all others are wrong. What do you think? What are your views on: *Stay at Home vs. working *breast feeding vs....

Lego star wars 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have any codes? Ps2 thank you

Punic Wars [ 1 Answers ]

Which Carthiaginian leader won every battle but lost the war with Rome?

Star Wars [ 10 Answers ]

Does anybody know if George Lucas is secretly making another Star Wars movie? After I saw Episode III I went home and watched Episode IV, V, and VI. I read some article that said he may be writing a new one, but was just wandering if anyone else knew for sure.

View more questions Search