Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevytrk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 05:55 PM
    Washing machine odor
    We had a new septic system installed about 2 years ago. We had the tank pumped out in the spring and now we get an odor of sewage from the washing machine. The water does not smell. The odor only comes when my wife uses the washer. Could you please advise what could be causing it. I opened up the tanks and the fluid was a good foot below the pipe in the tank.

Thanks,
    Don
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chevytrk
    We had a new septic system installed about 2 years ago. We had the tank pumped out in the spring and now we get an odor of sewage from the washing machine. The water does not smell. The odor only comes when my wife uses the washer. Could you please advise what could be causing it. I opened up the tanks and the fluid was a good foot below the pipe in the tank.

Thanks,
    Don
    If your clotheswasher is plumbed correctly, then I doubt your septic system is the culprit.

OTOH, is there a floor drain close by?

It's possible the p-trap of a bootlegged or improperly plumbed floor drain is being suctioned out when you use the clothewasher, thus allowing sewer/septic gasses to leak out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to put washing machine in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a stackable washing machine in my kitchen. From a purely plumbing standpoint how feasible is it to hire a plumber to place hookups in my kitchen for a regular clothes washing machine. Is this something that is reasonable to do in most cases? How much is it likely to cost in...

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Sewer odor from kitchen sink when washing machine discharges [ 1 Answers ]

Here goes... When the washing machine discharges water, I get a strong sewer smell from the kitchen sink. 1. Washing machine is located in the basement and empties into a utility sink. 2. Both kitchen sink drain and utility sink drain enter into the same cast iron pipe located in the concrete...

Portable Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! I just moved into an apartment in New York that has a laundry room in the basement. As I just had a baby, my wife wanted to have at least a small washing machine in the apartment. As there is no place to connect it and the landlord will not change anything, I was wondering if some kind...

View more questions Search