Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbutrfly11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 04:39 AM
    Can a Permanent Green Card be revoked
    I have found out that my husband lied on his Green Card application 5 years ago, when we lived abroad and came to the USA. He is Muslim and remarried to his first wife while also being married to me. (She lives in the Middle East).

Can his Permanent Green card be revoked? He has recently applied for citizenship and I would like to know if there is any way I can stop him from receiving citizenship because of his being a bigamist?

Thank you all.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jun 7, 2009, 01:55 PM

You can write to the USCIS if you suspect fraud. USCIS Home Page or call ICE US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
    crm042 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 12:16 AM
    As you know the US only recognize one marriage in law and that is the basis on which your husband obtained his Green Card. Having said that, do not forget that as a Muslim he can have several wives based on customary norms - notwithstanding than many Muslims in the Western World do not practice the idea.

Additionally, you ought to understand that a customary marriage can be recognisee in law through a legal formality, failing which it is nothing more that a mere custom, and the US Immigration will no initiate any enforcement action because your husband will not be a bigamist if he is only married to one woman legally.

Furthermore, if the country in which your husband got married permits multiple marriages, then he has not committed an offense.

NB. If he was married legally and NOT CUSTOMARILY at the time when you marry him, then YES, he is a bigamist and his Green Card can be revoked which is likely to result in his removal from the US.

You said that he remarried his first wife whilst still married to you. Find out if the marriage with his first wife was customary or legal. If it was legal, did they divorce? Did he show you a decree absolute?

If it was customary and has not been legalise n a legal context, then your husband is nt a bigamist.

Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card [ 1 Answers ]

I am seeing a girl from the Philippines and we plan to marry. She has been here, and working, since 2006. Her visitor visa is expired a year. Is there anyway we can get a green card for her?

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

Green card [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the usa for 14 years and would like to know how can I obtain a green card?I went to elementry school,middle school and finally graduated from High school.What can I do?

F-1 to Green Card [ 2 Answers ]

I'm studying my MBA with the F-1 Visa status in the US. Is it possible for a US established company to hire me changing my status to a permanent resident (green card)? I already finished another academic Masters of Arts in the US. I'm still working on my MBA. Thank you!

View more questions Search